HDMI CEC is an old way to connect all your devices with HDMI. It allows up to 15 devices to communicate with each other. It creates a seamless experience of home theatre.
CEC stands for Consumer Electronic Controls. HDMI CEC would allow you to mix the settings of your home devices with one remote controller. You might need to use the device separately for its unique features, but most modern devices are supported by HDMI CEC. With it, you can make playback and menu selection synchronized across your home devices.
HDMI CEC can simplify your home theatre systems and is easier to set up than expected. There are a few things you should be aware of before using HDMI CEC in your system.
HDMI CEC Features
HDMI CEC provides 5modern features you would find on any remote controller. HDMI CEC could transmit the information for power, playback, audio, and menu selection. Now, we do not need to switch between remotes. We also don’t need to switch between devices on a universal remote. Now, Only one remote device could control all of the devices.
It is slightly different from universal remote. Universal remotes are programmed with wireless signal patterns of consumer products. Universal remotes could directly control the device it is communicating with.
HDMI CEC Diagram: How HDMI CEC Works?
HDMI CEC uses any of your device’s remotes to control the whole system. If you are using the remote from your TV to control your DVD player, your remote will communicate with your TV to send a CEC signal via your HDMI cable to the DVD player. It was just an example.
The remote you are using could effectively control other devices it is connected to. Though your device is asleep and the HDML circuitry is disabled or completely off, they can control the device! Because CEC is a completely different electrical signal from the other HDMIs control.
There are many features that HDMI CEC could enable. Let’s see:
Deck Control: Play, Stop, Rewind, etc.
Deck control concedes to you the common playback commands (play, stop, rewind, etc.) for your playback devices, whether Blu-ray players, camcorders, etc.
System Audio Control
The most boring part of setting up this home theatre system is, calibrate the volume of all your reproductive devices to be roughly equal across the devices. But, HDMI CEC could easily eliminate the problem by adding an audio control for the entire system. It means one volume control for your entire system.
Okay, imagine you just finished watching the last episode of your favorite show. Now, you want to play one of your favorite movies. You know, the one that somehow no streaming services has picked up. So you have to pop it in your DVD player, change the source, and press play.
Not with HDMI CEC. With One-Touch Play, HDMI CEC playback devices will automatically switch the TV source on the play. No more navigating input source menus.
Power On and Power Off
When it is about home theatre systems, you could use three devices at a time. You have to power each device up separately whenever you want to use them and power them down separately when you have done it.
With HDMI CEC, that is a thing of the past. The system standby feature permits your standby or power button to put all of your devices in standby mode.
One-touch record is one kind of fun feature. It allows you to record whatever is playing on your display device to a selected recording device—no more routing your sources through a recording device to the display device. With HDMI CEC, it’s all connected.
Commercial Names for HDMI CEC
HDMI CEC goes by several commercial names, and each of them technically shows a separate menu. But the core system of having a designated pin in the HDMI plug is indifferent.
Let’s see what “Trade Name” they used to confuse us.
Here are they:
- AOC: E-link
- Hitachi: HDMI-CEC (Thank you, Hitachi!)
- LG: SimpLink
- Mitsubishi: NetCommand for HDMI
- Onkyo: RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI)
- Panasonic: HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, or VIERA Link
- Philips: EasyLink
- Pioneer: Kuro Link
- Runco International: RuncoLink
- Samsung: Anynet+
- Sharp: Aquos Link
- Sony: BRAVIA Sync
- Toshiba: CE-Link or Regza Link
- Vizio: CEC
Not all commercial names are inventive, such as Hitachi used HDMI-CEC or Vizio used CEC. These commercial names incorporate the word link. For example, Aquos Link, BRAVIA Link, CE-Link, EasyLink, SimpLink, etc. Although some have unique names like Samsung used Anynet+ and Roku used 1-Touch-Play.
Pros and Cons of HDMI CEC
There are some pros to HDMI CEC and cons. While the pros outnumber the cons, there may be instances where you would disable HDMI CEC or update your system to one that uses eARC–a newer standard that improves upon HDMI CEC’s features while eradicating the need for setup.
There are several advantages of HDMI CEC. As I mentioned, it allows for several global controls, allowing you to integrate your home theatre system more seamlessly.
Additionally, HDMI CEC works with HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel). It works to reduce the number of cables necessary to connect multiple devices at once.
In short, HDMI ARC permits audio to travel in both directions. It decreases the number of cables you have to connect with an external source like a Blu-ray player to a television and A/V receiver.
Your devices need HDMI ARC ports to take benefits of HDMI ARC. Usually, configuring devices for HDMI CEC enables HDMI ARC along with it. But to be sure, check your manual book.
The principal drawback to HDMI CEC is the limitation of HDMI ARC to show the full quality surround sound. HDMI-ARC could transmit uncompress stereo audio. It also could compress 5.1 surround sound audio.
If you need better sound quality, you have to disable HDMI CEC and ARC on your devices. You could also upgrade to devices that support HDMI eARC. HDMI eARC is capable of delivering 5.1 and 7.1 uncompressed audio. It also can handle better high definition formats.
Setting Up HDMI CEC
Setting up an HDMI CEC differs from device to device. You could find HDMI CEC settings in the sound settings or system settings of the device’s settings.
You need to configure the HDMI CEC settings for each device you are willing to connect with HDMI CEC. If you update your system to HDMI 2.1a ports, HDMI eARC will automatically be enabled. If elements aren’t compatible with HDMI eARC, they will revert to standard HDMI ARC (with all the drawbacks previously showed).
How to Enable CEC on Popular TVs
To make this thing even more confusing, manufacturers often don’t call this feature “HDMI-CEC.” Manufacturers love to call this thing in their own branded name, even though it’s an interoperable standard.
Often would not see “HDMI-CEC” printed on a specifications list. Rather, you’ll see a branded “trade name.” These all are Manufacturers branded trade name of HDMI-CEC, so they exist only to confuse customers. Remember that, If your TV has any of these features, it supports HDMI-CEC.
Enabling HDMI ARC and CEC could sound different, but they follow the same steps. Go to your device settings, turn on HDMI ARC, and then you may or may not need to discover devices.
Here, we will review how to set up HDMI ARC and CEC on five popular TV brands.
LG- With LG TVs, click the home button an23 d go to Settings. Select Sound and then Sound Settings. From here, turn ARC Mo, de to the ON position, and turn the TV Speaker to OFF.
Vizio- Select System from the menu. Then select the CEC. It will indicate you to select “Enable,” and it will say, System Audio Control selects On. Then, select the Device Discovery option. Then wait for your TV to discover the other connected devices.
Sony- From home, go to the menu. Then go to Settings. Then System Settings. From here, select the Set Up option, then select the AV Set Up option. Be sure that the speaker settings are set to Audio Out. Now go back to the Set Up menu again. Then click BRAVIA Sync. Now, select BRAVIA Synced Devices List.
TCL w/ Roku- Select Settings from the Home menu. Then select system. Select Control Other Devices (CEC) option and enable HDMI ARC and System Audio Control.
Samsung- Select the system from the menu, and then turn Anynet+ to the ON position.
You will also need to enable HDMI ARC on your A/V receiver or soundbar. You need to turn your TV to the input setting the audio device is connected to for doing this.
From here, you must navigate the settings menu of the audio device to enable HDMI ARC and CEC, which again may be referred to by different names.
In some instances, particularly with certain soundbars (most notably Sonos), you will need to download an app to set the device up for HDMI ARC. Download the app onto your phone and follow the instructions.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller List of HDMI CEC:
- ➤ WHAT DOES THE ADAPTER DO? It deliberately disables (Pin 13) the CEC function of a device connected to a HDMI cable via the CEC adapter. This includes functions such as automatically turning your TV on and off and automatically changing device inputs. The adapter prevents devices that have buggy or incompatible CEC software from malfunctioning when used together or to prevent automatic commands from interfering with universal remote control systems
- ➤ SUPPORTS LATEST HDMI STANDARD: BlueRigger 4K HDMI CEC Less Adapter supports 4K, UHD, 3D, Audio Return Channel (ARC), Category 2 Certified, HDCP Compliant, 10.2 Gbps / 340 MHz Refresh Rate, 1080p, 48 Bit Deep Color, TrueHD 7.1, Audio Return Channel (ARC) & Ethernet. Backwards compatible with earlier versions
- ➤ PREMIUM CONTRUCTION: Durable, high-quality build with 100% pure copper core, 24K gold-plated connectors, full metal jacket housing protects against corrosion while maximizing signal strength. Can be easily used in any tight spaces between HDMI device and wall
- ➤ UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY: Connect source devices such as Blu-ray player, Apple TV, Xbox, PS4, laptops with HDMI output to display devices such as HDTV, projector, A/V Receiver etc
- ➤ WARRANTY: BlueRigger cables and adapters are backed by a Lifetime Warranty and US-based customer support
- High quality gold plated HDMI adapter
- HDMI Type A Female to Male
- Gold plated connectors and contacts
- HDMI and HDCP compliant
- 10 year warranty
- HDMI Passthrough
- USB Powered
- Includes USB cable and HDMI cable
- ￭ 【FEATURES】HDMI CEC blocker. The CEC function can be manually turned on or off (pin 13) for devices connected to HDMI cables through the CEC adapter. This includes features such as automatically turning the TV on and off and automatically changing device inputs. Adapters prevent devices from having errors or incompatible CEC software when used together from faults, or prevent automatic commands from interfering with generic control system class devices.
- ￭ 【Universal compatibility】Supports connect source devices such as Top box STB, Apple TV,PS4, Xbox，Blu-ray player etc with HDMI output to display devices such as projector,HDTV, A/V Receiver etc
- ￭ 【Supports latest HDMI standard】 HDMI CEC blocker Adapter supports 4K60Hz/18 Gbps ,3D,1080P1440Hz，UHD, ARC( Audio Return Channel ), Backwards compatible with earlier versions.
- ￭ 【Warranty】 HDMI CEC blocker Adapter are backed by a Lifetime Warranty
- 【8K HDMI Cable 2.1】VEECOH HDMI Cables supports resolution and refresh rate up to 8K@60Hz, 4K@120Hz, transmission speed up to 48Gbps bandwidth,Resolution up to 7680*4320.Backwards compatible with HDMI 2.0b/2.0a/2.0/1.4/1.3/1.2/1.1standard.
- 【Immersive Gaming Experience】High refresh rate let you enjoy the immersive entertainment and gaming experience.Supports variable refresh rateto obtain a smoother and more detailed picture.Maximizes the value of the graphics card and CPU, and is more accurate in the processing of rendered images.No lag, screen tearing, or motion blur.
- 【TOP Performance For Video Streaming】Supports the latest high-bitrate audio formats including DTS Master, DTS:X, Atoms, and enhanced Audio Return Channel(eARC).3D stereo imaging technology, with dynamic HDR and 12 Bit color processing technology,it delivers unbelievably stunning videos with more ideal depth, brightness, detail, contrast, and wider color gamut.Compatible with Dolby Vision,immersive cinema-like sound effect.
- 【Thoughtful Design+Anti-Interference】Veecoh HDMI cables are made of 30AWG tinned copper and features triple shielding to ensure stable signal transmission, no worry about artifacts and audio/video synchronization problems. 24K Gold Plated connectors and the tail's anti-bending design has been upgraded to make it more durable.stable heat dissipation while extending product life.
- 【Compatible HDMI Device】Widely compatible with all HDMI devices：such as Set - top box, DVD player, PC, video game（PS3/PS4/PS5,Switch,Integrated Amplifier, digital audio ,TV set Blu-ray players, Roku Fire TV , Apple TV, XBox one, Xbox 360,Ethernet Monitor,HDTV 4K Fire Netflix,computers and other HDMI-enabled devices to Projector,A/V receivers, xbox series x and displays from brands such as Samsung,Dell,LG,Panasonic,Sony etc.
- 【Smart 4K HDMI Switch】ROOFULL 4K HDMI 2.0 switch will provide you more HDMI 2.0 input ports on your TV to connect up to 5 4K source devices together, no need to switch devices by plugging and unplugging the HDMI cable. Seamlessly switch between games, movies, and TV shows. No complicated setup and drivers required, plug and play.
- 【True 4K Ultra-HD】The latest HDMI v2.0a HDMI switch support 4K@60Hz 4:4:4 HDR (Maximum 4096x2160), HDCP 2.2 Pass-through, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, CEC, deep color up to 36bit, HDMI bandwidth up to 18Gbps. ROOFULL premium HDMI selector ensures stable and fast transmission of UHD video signals, and smooth picture switching, no delay, no distortion!
- 【Switch Devices Easily】3 switching methods - You can easily switch your multiple source device through remote at your couch, press the button, or control your device more intelligently through automatic switching function.
- 【Wide Compatibility】ROOFULL 4K HDMI switch with upgraded A/V solution ensures better performance and easier switching experience during movies, TV or games. Perfectly compatible with PS3/4/5, Xbox 360/One, Apple TV 4K, Chromecast, Fire TV stick, Blu-ray player, laptop/desktop computer and more. Supports all available audio formats（DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, LPCM7.1, PCM, DTS-HD, Dolby Digital AC3, DSD-HD )
- 【Worry-Free Shopping】Get it from a professional manufacturer without any worries! 18-month hassle-free warranty with lifetime professional technical support, do not need to worry about missing the return windows! Just contact through Amazon or ROOFULL official website.
- ⭐【8K HDMI 2.1 Switch 4x1】 -- The 4 ports HDMI 2.1 Switch 4 in 1 out easily shares video and audio from 2 different HDMI source with 1 HDMI display. Supports IR Remote control switch. Supports CEC. NO lag, NO flash or drop in resolution. Easily switching between seamless transitions. No frequently plugging and unplugging needed.
- ⭐【Video & Audio Format】 -- Video Format - HDMI 2.1 Switcher supports multiple resolution up to 8K@60Hz 4K@120Hz 5120x1440@120Hz 1080P@240Hz 4:4:4 8bit. Also supports VRR, HDR 10, Dolby vision, 3D effect. Audio Format - Supports ARC, Dolby Atmos, DTS X,Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, PCM7.1.
- ⭐【Easy Usage】 -- Plug and play. Power on with 5V/2A.Simply connect HDMI source with Input port & HDMI receive device with Output port through HDMI 2.1 cable, the led light will indicate which port is working. Easily switch between 2 HDMI sources by pressing the panel button. Supports CEC.
- ⭐【High Compatibility】 -- 4 ports HDMI Switcher Selector is highly compatible with all operating system such as Windows, Mac OS, Linux. Also works perfectly with Logitech Harmony, Xbox one X, PS4 Pro, 4K, Roku 4, Amazon Fire TV, Blu-ray players, Projector etc.
- ⭐【Please Note】 -- Highly recommend certified HDMI 2.1 cable less than 10ft / 3m. Please see ASIN B0B5ZX3MBB if needed. Most using issues are cuased by poor quality cables. Supports only 4 in 1 out, does NOT support 1 in 4 out or “Bi-directional”. Does NOT support automatic switch. Does NOT support Sonos-ARC/e-ARC.
- 4 In 1 Out HDMI Switch with ARC: This HDMI 4K switch supports HDR (4:4:4 YUV Format) 12-bit deep color, HDCP1.4, HDMI 2.0, can easily select 4 HDMI sources that up to 4K@60Hz to a single HDMI output which your want to output. The HDMI Switcher support 12bit per channel(48bit all channels) Deep Color, Support ARC function. The HDMI Output can be selected by a local button or an IR wireless remote control.
- HDMI 2.0 / UltraHD 4K (3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz) Support, Supports Pixel Clock Rate upto 600Mhz
- 4 inputs and 1 Output HDMI Switch DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD Lossless Compressed Digital Audio Compliant
- Wide Device Compatibility: This 4 port HDMI switch can compatible with partly HDMI device such as Streaming Devices, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV, LE TV, PS3/ 4/ 5 Video Games, Macbook, VCD/ DVD Player, IP TV, STB, Media Box, Xbox360, Xbox , Huawei Box, MIUI Box, Smart Box, Blue-ray Player Chromecast, PC/Computer, YUV 60Hz, RGB 30Hz, ROKU , SAT Receiver, Cameras, Projector, Vizio. Tivo
- Includes 4x1 Switcher with ARC, Power Adapter, IR Remote, Operation Manual, 1 Year Warranty - Lifetime OREI Customer Support
- [HDMI 2.1 Switch 3x1]: This hdmi switch comes with a remote control that enables auto switching among 3 signal resources to single display, expands HDMI 2.1 ports on your TV, NO delay and no screen flickers, supports CEC.
- [UHD 8K HDMI Switch]: Enjoy breathtaking audio and smoother picture quality with access to 4k Ultra HD streaming at up to 120fps, Dolby Vision, HDR, and HDR10+. Support latest 8k@60hz, 4k@120hz, 1080P@240Hz resolution and back forward compatible.
- [Widely Compatibility]: This 3 in 1 out HDMI switch is highly compatible with all operating system such as XP, Windows, Mac OS, Linux. Also works perfectly with Xbox one X, PS4/PS5, , Roku, Fire Stick, Blu-ray players, Projector etc
- [Faster & More Stable Transmission]: This 4 ports HDMI switcher with gold plated connector provides high bandwidth up to 48Gbps data transmission, Input and output AWG26 HDMI standard cable length could reach up to 5m. Powered by type C to USB A cable, ensures stable video transmission and better performance.
- [Plug and Play, Switching Easily]: This new upgraded HDMI 2.1 Switcher is so easy to set up, no external drive needed, just simply use the remote control or manual control to swap signals without plug and unplug the cables, the indicator lights show the active port. Note: For better experience, Please make sure the total length of cable of the both ends can not exceed 16ft/5m.
- 【4K 60Hz HDMI Splitter 1 in 2 Out with SPDIF 5.1ch 】 High-End HDMI Splitter for Dual Monitor Duplicate/Mirror OR 4K & 1080p TV work in Sync for Xbox, PS5 1080p120Hz, Roku, IPS gaming monitor>> HDMI splitter OUT 2 down-scale 4K to 1080P ONLY. DO NOT down-scale HDR D-o-l-b-y Vision (4K60 4:2:2) and Frequency, otherwise wash out >> CEC for splitter OUT 1 only
- 【VIDEO AUDIO】 HDMI2.0 4K60Hz 4:4:4 8bit 18Gbps, HDR D-o-l-b-y Version HDCP2.2, 1080p @120Hz/60Hz 3D, 3840x2160 @60Hz, 1440p@60Hz >> HDMI audio: D-o-l-b-y Atmos, Digital 7.1CH, DTS:X; DE-embed SPDIF Optical 5.1CH play splitter OUT 2 audio. NO ARC
- 【KEY USAGE】 Pls use good HDMI2.0 cable less than 15m/ 49ft. >> Connect 4K TV to splitter OUT 1, 1080p TV to OUT 2, set OUT 2 SCALER ON>>Get 4K HDR D-o-l-b-y Vision & D-o-l-b-y Atmos in sync, set EDID No.31 via micro-usb by PC, same setting for 1080p 120Hz.>>Set HDCP bypass by PC. NOT support 4K60hz & 1080p120hz work in sync.
- 【GREAT CAPACITY】 Japanese High-end IC Exclusive Algorithm. Plug & Play. Any usage issue, pls Click sold by EZCOOTECH ask seller FREELY >>1 to 2 HDMI splitter Daisy Chain cascade to 6 layers
- 【POWERFUL SAFETY】Threaded power adapter to prevent power loss; Low Heat. >> Mounting Ear for easy set up. >> 4K HDMI 2 way splitter for Fire TV, N-v-i-d-ia Shield, Xfinity box, Game Video Capture,Xbox,Apple TV, PS4 Pro, chromecast, google tv etc.
You May Also Like…
- 10 Best Soundbars with Built In Subwoofers
- Where to Place Subwoofer with Soundbar: Subwoofer Placement
- Amplifier vs Receiver: Is Amplifier Same as Receiver?
- Top 11 Best Soundbars without Subwoofers
- The 4 Sign and Symptom of Bad HDMI Cable
Last update on 2022-11-17