Using multiple controllers while watching TV can feel like trouble. So if you are exploring a way to keep control of both your TV remote and your soundbar’s remote, then you will be delighted to hear that you can use one remote to manage both your TV and soundbar with just a little setup. There are a lot of solutions available from different manufacturers and brands. So always do the research on your particular brand of soundbar, TV, and remote to choose the best solution for you.
There are different ways to simplify your controls. Such as, you can use a universal remote to control your soundbar. People also use IR technology to communicate. Hardwired connections such as HDMI ARC or a Digital Fiber Optical Cable are also an excellent way to simplify controls.
The setup is very easy. Even it could be as easy as plugging in some cables. The setup process mainly depends on the device. Moreover, some other methods will require you to program your remote with special codes specific to your soundbar. You can use any of them; none of the processes is too hard. If you have a little knowledge about the technology, you will be able to do that. To gain more ideas about how to use your universal remote to control your soundbar, you can read this article till the end.
Controlling Soundbars with Universal Remotes
Most of the available soundbars will allow you to control them using a universal remote. It actually depends on the type of soundbar you have. If you desire to use a universal remote to control your soundbar, you will need to have an IR sensor to receive the signal sent by the universal remote. Because IR uses waves to transfer binary data in pulses over the electromagnetic spectrum, so your soundbar will need to have an IR sensor to receive the data and decode this data.
IR technology is very popular. It is used a lot in remote controls. This technology is very easy to use. IR has a lot of applications, from spectroscopy to cooling and heating. But it is mostly used in relaying commands to electronic devices such as TV. If you want to do this, you have to have a few different components:
- IR Blaster/Sender – This component will be on the remote itself
- IR Receiver – It is located on the soundbar
- IR Decoder – This decoder will use control protocols like RC-5 or SIRC to decode the binary message to command your soundbar to move the volume up or down.
So if your soundbar has an IR receiver, then you will be able to control it with just a little setup. Some good quality soundbars with IR communication systems are the Sonos Playbar, Samsung HW-Q60T, and the Vizio 2.1 Soundbar. You will be able to find them on amazon.
If your soundbar has a remote control, then it might have using IR tech to communicate. So you should be able to use a universal remote to control the device. You just have to pair the remote to the device by programming it with brand-specific pairing codes to control it.
Universal Remote Control Soundbar Codes
Pairing a universal remote with any electronic device is an easy process. Sometimes it can feel a little difficult because the pairing process actually depends on the device. The different device uses different instructions. After all, with a bit of time and the proper pairing codes, you will be able to power your soundbar with your remote control in no time. Here are some following steps to pairing a remote with a soundbar.
How to Pair a Universal Remote with a Soundbar
- First, you’ll need to find the pairing code for your soundbar.
- Then you have to power on your TV and your soundbar.
- Point your universal remote at the soundbar you want to pair.
- Press the Setup button on your universal remote till the light on the remote flashes (this step will actually depending on the brand); otherwise, press the AUX and OK buttons simultaneously, then press the channel up button.
- Hold until the soundbar turns off, then press the AUX button again to save (if it works, then you are already set up and don’t need further steps).
- Enter the brand-specific pairing code into the universal remote.
- You should see the indicator light on the remote start to flash, indicating the pairing has worked.
- In the end, after setting up everything, you can test your remote by trying to control the volume.
It is only a general setup process; there are many different types of universal remotes with different setup processes. You can find the right process for that universal remote on the user’s manual. But whatever you will see, that process is almost the same. But most importantly, you should have the correct soundbar pairing codes. These codes are brand-specific. Here you can see some codes from some of the famous brands.
Soundbar Pairing Codes
An Alternative: Control the Soundbar with the Stock TV Remote
Sometimes you may be able to use the stock TV remote to control the volume of your soundbar. But it mostly depends on the available connections of your soundbar. You will need an HDMI ARC port on your soundbar and an HDMI ARC port on your TV to use this feature. This technique is not so hard. Here you can find some basic steps.
- Find the HDMI ARC connection on both the soundbar and TV.
- Connect an HDMI cable to each.
- Turn the TV and soundbar.
- Test and troubleshoot any connection issues.
- If it is not working, try enabling the CEC option on your TV.
But one thing you should remember that after using this setup still your television and soundbar will have their own volume settings. So it can happen that you have the sound up on your TV, but the volume of the soundbar is loud enough because the soundbar’s sound is on low. If you have used any Bluetooth speaker before, then you may already be familiar with this problem.
So if you want to increase the amount of sound in your soundbar, you have to adjust some settings. You may need to go to your TV’s setting to set the correct audio out to get the connection to the soundbar. This is also the same for the soundbar.
Why HDMI ARC is Important for Universal Remotes
HDMI ARC is very useful for simplifying the remote control setup for the TV and soundbar. The ARC (Audio Return Channel) technology actually communicates the volume commands from your TV to your soundbar, and you do not have to pair to do that. Though it has been around since 2009, it is not so well known.
HDMI ARC is so useful because you can use your regular TV remote without any additional setup. It is a great feature. If your soundbar does not have any IR sensor, you will not be able to use a universal remote to control it. But with this feature, you can still see one remote to control your TV and your soundbar.
If you are already using a universal remote to control your TV, the HDMI ARC connection will still be useful to control the soundbar. Because if you send volume commands to your TV’s IR receiver by using the stock or universal remote, the HDMI ARC will also send them to the soundbar without any issue.
Pairing a soundbar with a universal remote is not a hard job. Anyone can do that with just a simple idea about technology. The pairing process depends on the device. You can follow a few different setup methods depending on your device. But these are mostly similar. Those process also requires brand-specific codes to pair the devices.
But if your soundbar is not compatible with this process, you can use a Digital Optical connection or an HDMI ARC connection. Whatever you do. After setting it up correctly, you will be able to use one remote to control your TV and the soundbar.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller List of Sound Bars:
- SUBWOOFER INCLUDED - Wireless subwoofer is included so you can enjoy deep bass right out of the box All-in-one
- BASS BOOST - Give your bass an instant boost with the push of a button on the soundbar
- ADAPTIVE SOUND LITE - Enhanced audio tracking for your content in real time, with technology that equalizes background music and consistent volume control
- BLUETOOTH TV CONNECTION - Set up is a breeze. Easily connect your soundbar to your TV by connecting wirelessly
- GAME MODE - Boost your gaming experience with perfectly synced directional audio that moves with the action on-screen and crosstalk cancellation that minimizes distractions
- COMPATIBLE WITH TV, PHONE AND PC: Using the assortment of connectivity options, the Bowfell can be connected to your phone, computer and most TVs using Bluetooth, Optical Input or RCA input. The Bowfell comes with an easy-to-use remote control.
- MULTI-CONNECTION: The Bowfell boasts a wide range of connectivity options including Bluetooth, USB input, Optical input, RCA and an AUX port. The Bowfell comes with an RCA cable and 3.5mm AUX cable. Designed for the eager audiophile, you can select which mode you want to listen to: Music, Movies or Dialogue.
- COMPACT DESIGN: The Bowfell’s slim design is ideal for any desktop space especially student dorm rooms.
- BUILT-IN SUBWOOFER: Small but mighty, the Bowfell is equipped with a built-in subwoofer delivering outstanding cinematic sound.
- DIMENSIONS: 38.8cm x5.4cm x7.2cm; 1.5kg
- DOLBY ATMOS / DTS:X - Theater-quality sound that fires from the front, side and above for true audio immersion.
- TRUE 3.1.2CH SOUND - The complete audio entertainment experience with 3 channels, 1 subwoofer and 2 up-firing channels.
- Q-SYMPHONY - Perfectly synchronized, fully immersive QLED TV and soundbar audio.
- SPACEFIT SOUND - Automatically calibrated sound and enhanced clarity to adapt to your space.
- WORKS WITH - Enjoy your Soundbar hands-free using voice control through your Alexa-enabled device.
- DTS Virtual:X:
- Ultra-Compact Design
- DOLBY DIGITAL: Dolby Digital decoding maximizes sound clarity and creates incredible room-filling virtual surround sound.
- DEEP BASS WITH WIRELESS SUBWOOFER: Experience deep, rich bass to make movies and music truly come to life.
- STREAM MUSIC WIRELESSLY: You can use your Bluetooth-enabled device to wirelessly stream music on your sound bar.
- SPECIALIZED SOUND MODES: Specialized sound modes bring Movies, Music, and News to life.
- QUICK AND HASSLE-FREE SETUP: With HDMI, optical, or Bluetooth connections, you can go from unboxing to listening in minutes.
- WIRED AND WIRELESS AUDIO STREAMING- the sound bar system equipped with optical, coaxial, aux, cable and optical supplied. bluetooth 5. 0 also can adjust the sound to the best.
- 3 EQUALIZER MODES- built-in dsp chip, the sound bar 2.0 channel provides 3 equalizer modes: dialogue, movie, and music, controlled by remote or button.
- HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE- built-in 2x 3"" full-range drivers and dual bass ports speakers, bestisan sound bar can bring the richer, deeper bass and more immersive home theater experience than your tv."
- MOVE FREELY& MODERN DESIGN— super bass stereo sound bar, can be placed directly on the tv cabinet or hung on the wall. and compact size, exquisite appearance fits with any home decor.
- PACKAGED INCLUDED- includes the sound bar, remote control, optical cable, audio cable and the wall mounting kit to make sure that you have what you need to make the most of your bestisan audio experience right out of the box.
- Built-in subwoofers for deep bass in one slim sound bar
- Clear Voice for enhanced dialogue clarity
- DTS Virtual: X virtual 3D surround sound
- Bluetooth streaming that allows easy switching between two devices
- Simple setup with HDMI or optical
- Hear your TV better: Designed with simplicity in mind, the Bose TV Speaker is a small soundbar that clarifies speech and is a simple fix for better TV sound.
- Wide, natural sound: 2 angled full-range drivers deliver a more realistic, spatial audio experience for overall better TV sound from a small soundbar.
- Enhanced dialogue: This TV speaker is designed to specifically focus on clarifying and elevating vocals and pronunciation.
- Bluetooth TV speaker: Pair your device to this Bluetooth soundbar to wirelessly stream your favorite music and podcasts.
- Simple setup: A single connection from this compact soundbar to the TV via an optical audio cable (included) or an HDMI cable (sold separately) has you up and running in minutes.
- The mountable soundbar for TV, movies, music, and more
- Enjoy crisp dialogue and impressive bass from wall to wall with Playbar. Control it with the Sonos app, your remote, and more
- Whether you mount it on the wall or place it below your TV on a stand or console, Playbar automatically tunes itself for the best possible sound
- Playbar was specially tuned by Oscar-winning sound engineers to emphasize the sound of the human voice so you can always follow the story
- Easily connect Sonos speakers in different rooms over WiFi to create a home sound system that brings every room and everyone together
- 2.1 SURROUND SOUND: With 2.1 Channel Sound, the K2 offers a superior audio experience for any home entertainment set-up.
- WIRELESS SUBWOOFER: Delivering high definition sound, the K2’s stereo speakers fill the room with your favourite sounds.
- MULTI-CONNECTION: The K2 boasts a wide range of connections including Bluetooth, USB input, Optical input, RCA, AUX-input and HDMI ARC. The K2 comes with an RCA cable. Designed for the eager audiophile, you can select which audio mode you want to listen to: Music, Movies or Dialogue.
- COMPATIBLE WITH PROJECTORS, TV, PHONE AND PC: Using the assortment of connectivity options, the K2 can be connected to your phone, computer and most TVs using Bluetooth, Optical Input and RCA input.
- DIMENSIONS: 30 x 2 x 3 inches; 7.4lbs
You May Also Like…
- How to Connect TV to Receiver Without HDMI?
- How to Connect Two Bluetooth Speakers at Once?
- What is a Pre-Out on an A/V Receiver, When Would You Use It?
- How to Add Bluetooth to Stereo or A/V Receiver?
- Are Soundbars a Waste of Money?
Last update on 2021-08-24