Some receivers are a little complicated to use. When buying a receiver, it is easy to lose track of what specs and ports you need. Some receivers come with a Pre-Out which can be confusing for you. So if you are going to buy an A/V receiver, you can have the question in your mind that what a pre-out is and how to use this feature?
A pre-out is a part of your receiver. It is where you connect an external power amplifier in place of the built-in power amplifier. It helps the signal pass through and later be amplified by another power source.
Pre-outs are used to connect an external amplifier to your receiver so they can power speakers in your Home Theater system. An array of pre-outs allows you to turn your receiver into an exclusive pre-amp/processor by using external amps to power all your speakers.
So, you don’t need to think much about the pre-outs when you buy a receiver. Some receivers have a pre-out for every speaker and two subwoofer connections. People use pre-outs on their A/V receiver for various purposes, and it has both pros and cons in usage.
Why Would You Need Pre-Outs?
Most people use the pre-out with a subwoofer. Subwoofers generally come with their internal amplifier, and it is beneficial to use a pre-out connection in this way. But you also can use a pre-out connection with all kinds of channels to your home theatre.
Some of the most expensive A/V receivers remain in lack of sufficient power so that you cannot decorate your home theatre as your wish even if you have enough speaker ports. But separate power amplifiers can calm your mind, and it helps you place the speakers where ever you want what was not possible because of power limitations.
When you are going to use a massive subwoofer or special speaker channels, we recommend using an external amplifier with these added speakers. It can increase the sound quality and lessen the load on your receiver’s built-in amplifier.
Many subwoofers and other speakers come with their power amplifiers. These are known as Active Speakers. These subwoofer and speakers require a pre-out connection. If you do them properly, it will improve your hearing experience, lessen the load on your receiver’s built-in amp, and allow your speakers to give the output to the fullest.
Again, if you have Zone 2 or Zone 3 output ports, you will be able to play audio in another room. Moreover, if your speaker’s size is slightly large, the output ports allow your system to use more power. So you can realize that pre-outs can give you a great opportunity to upgrade your home theatre.
Pros of Using Pre-Outs
I think you have realized some of the Pre-Out benefits by reading this post till now. Now let’s take a look at some particular benefits.
Less Strain on Your A/V Receiver
Using pre-outs with an external power source is very beneficial. First of all, after using a pre-out now, your receiver has to use less power. You always have to take care of your A/V receiver, and you should purchase a more expensive type so that you do not have to push it hard to the full capacity.
The Onkyo TX-RZ820 THX-Certified 4K Receiver comes with the pre-outs for 7.1 channels of sound one of the most famous receivers. So that you can scale up and expand your speakers to a pre-out without crossing the receiver’s limit.
The built-in amp of the receiver has a limited power supply. So the pre-out helps the receiver by connecting external amplifiers so that the receiver has to share the power among fewer channels. And it makes the output of the receiver better.
Add Channels and Improve Your Speaker System
The pre-out also increases the capabilities of your surround sound system. With the help of pre-outs, you will make complex setups (such as Dolby Atmos) possible.
If your pre-out section comes with the speaker connections mentioned as “Front Wide” or “Height 2”, then you should use an external power source to power these ports. There are different kinds of usage of your home theatre, but you have to understand when to use each connection which is very important.
Pre-Outs Improve Sonic Character
If you connect both Passive Speakers to the receiver’s built-in power amplifier and the Active Speakers with their power amplifiers, you will be able to get a good output when you are using pre-outs. Your system will be improved. Pre-outs are not necessary for a basic speaker system; you will need pre-outs for more advanced and expensive setups.
Cons of Pre-Outs
Though pre-outs are used to make some advanced and expensive setups possible, they still, it has some shortcomings.
Pre-Outs Can Be Expensive
The pre-outs are often costly. If you want to have a high-end home theatre system, you have to pay a good amount. With a more expensive A/V receiver, you will be able to get the experience you are looking for. But buying a powerful A/V receiver with plenty of options in the pre-out section will cost you a lot of money.
If you are shopping for a new receiver, some receivers like the Denon AVR-S540BT 5.2 channel 4K Receiver can convince you. But if you want to expand your receivers later, it will be better if you do not this type of receiver because there are no pre-outs in this receiver.
More Amplifiers Means More Power Consumption
Another thing you should think about before buying an A/V receiver is power consumption. The more powerful your receiver is, the more it will use the energy. Moreover, you have to plug your subwoofer into an outlet. Home theatres are quite expensive, and using an advanced system that uses additional power will cost you more.
Additional Cables and Potential Sound Issues
If you use most of the pre-out connections on your receiver, you will meet plenty of cables, and things can get complicated. So you have to have a good idea of cable management to keep your cables organized and safe.
When using different amps, little inconsistencies can occur with your sound. These defects are so minor that nobody will notice.
Is Pre-Outs Common on A/V Receivers?
Nowadays Pre-outs have become pretty common on A/V receivers, mostly on expensive units. Different kinds of A/V receivers are available on the market with different connections. So you have to be sure what option you need, before buying.
More expensive receivers will surely have more connections than cheaper units. Even some speaker comes with no pre-out connection. But most of the A/V receivers available on the market come with a pre-out connection.
How do I use the Pre-Out on My A/V Receiver?
Using pre-outs of your receiver is not a hard task. First, you have to find out if your speaker is going to use the built-in amplifier of your receiver or it is going to use an external amplifier. For speakers with an external amp, you have to find the supported pre-out connection on the receiver. When you connect your subwoofer with pre-outs, you can connect it through a single tip RCA cable or use an RCA cable and Y-Splitter if there are multiple sub inputs. Some receivers come with a dedicated subwoofer cable. After plugging your receiver and speaker correctly, now you are ready to play audio.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller AV Receivers & Amplifiers:
- CINEMATIC SOUND AT HOME: Enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows and more with theater like sound in the comfort of your home
- BREATHTAKING AUDIO: Dolby Atmos and DTS:X deliver multi-dimensional and object-based surround sound
- STUNNING 4K QUALITY: 4K HDR pass through with support for Dolby Vision, HDR10, and Hybrid Log Gamma provides greater and clearer color, contrast, and brightness
- GET CONNECTED: 4 in/1 out HDMI each and 1 optical / 1 coaxial digital and analog audio connections
- AUTO CALIBRATION: Advanced D.C.A.C. analyzes and adjusts the audio for optimal sound in every room
- Cinematic Sound at Home: Enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows and more with theater like sound in the comfort of your home
- Virtual Front Surround: S Force PRO delivers virtual surround sound with only a 2 speaker setup
- Smart Connectivity: Stream music and use Bluetooth Standby turn on the receiver from your phone
- Multi Function System: Enjoy a Multi Channel Stereo Setup, FM Radio Tuner and 1/4 Inches Headphone Jack
- Dynamic Setup: 4 Stereo Rca Audio Inputs and 2 Digital Audio Outputs (1 Optical and 1 Coaxial)
- 5.2 CHANNEL: The Pyle 5.2 Channel Hi-Fi Home Theater Receiver is perfect for your home entertainment system. Gives you 1000 watts peak power to be used for speakers and subwoofers w/ 4-16 ohms impedance, lets you enjoy high quality amplified audio
- BLUETOOTH-COMPATIBLE: The professional integrated high powered stereo receiver is equipped w/ bluetooth wireless music streaming. Works with today’s latest devices including smart phones, iPhone, iPad and computers with hassle-free receiver pairing
- 4K UHD TV SUPPORT: The AV digital amp box is equipped w/ 4K ultra HD TV, 3D and Blu-Ray video pass-through support w/ dedicated RCA subwoofer output. Connect and stream audio/video from external devices via USB, RCA, 3 HDMI, optical/digital audio
- EQ CONTROLS: The home amplifier with bluetooth has 2 ¼” mic inputs with independent input source selection. Equipped w/ next gen audio DSP sound processing technology and controls for echo, bass, treble, microphone and volume adjustments
- DIGITAL LCD DISPLAY: The home theater surround sound receiver system has a built-in LCD display and AM/FM radio. Features front panel control center and integrated over current, short circuit and over voltage protection. Includes remote control
- Dolby Atmos/Dolby Surround Upmixing: The VSX-LX104 is compatible with 5.2.2ch configuration of the latest theater sound platform, Dolby Atmos.
- DTS:X/DTS Neural:X Upmixing: DTS:X is the next-generation audio codec from DTS that leverages object-based audio to enable new immersive and interactive audio experiences.
- Next Generation Video Standard Ready: The VSX-LX104 supports pass-through for HDR10, HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma), and Dolby Vision signals.
- MCACC Auto Room Tuning: With the custom microphone, the system automatically compensates for differences in speaker size, level and distance, and equalizes response.
- Works with SONOS: By connecting the VSX-LX104 to Sonos Connect, you can play any music or audio source on your Sonos app.
- 100 WATT POWER: The Pyle 5 Channel HiFi Audio Amplifier w/ 100W peak power gives your entertainment system a boost. Offers low distortion w/ acoustically accurate audio reproduction, allowing you to enjoy crisp and high quality amplified audio
- BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY: The small personal integrated indoor stereo receiver is equipped with Bluetooth wireless music streaming. Works with today’s latest devices, including smartphones, tablets, laptops, computer w/ hassle free receiver pairing
- 4 INPUTS: The professional Hi Fi amp supports various external devices. Features RCA subwoofer output, AUX RCA L/R audio inputs, HDMI output plus 2 HDMI inputs, FM radio antenna input, 5 sets of spring loaded speaker terminal connectors
- FRONT CONTROL PANEL: The compact amplifier which features full range stereo sound reproduction has a built in LCD display w/ crisp buttons for the functions such as standby, tuner (/+), surround, mute, input and a rotary control knob for the volume
- EQ CONTROLS: This multi purpose 5 channel compact home theater digital stereo receiver box features crisp buttons and rotary knob controls for audio adjustment. Includes 12V adapter and remote control for easy distant audio adjustments. Note: Refer to the PDF attached below in the Technical Specification for User Manual
- WIRELESS STREAMING: The receiver rack mount features a premium built in Bluetooth 2.1 wireless streaming receiver. Making the receiver compatible with all your favorite devices, like iPhone, Androids, tablets, etc. It has a wireless range of 30’ plus
- HOME STEREO AMP: The rack mount home theater amp is a complete sound system. It acts like an FM radio with a digital LCD display with ID3 tag readout displaying each song title. Also features a 2.1 channel audio amp design
- CONNECT TO EXTERNAL DEVICES: The rack mount home theater amp features USB flash and SD memory card readers, as well as a 3.5mm aux input jack and multi source RCA audio input connectors
- RELIABLE & DURABLE: The home theater receiver is made of heavy duty metal and aluminum alloy panel to protect your gear for years to come. The package includes sturdy removable rack mount brackets for trustworthy and easy installation
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX: The audio receiver rack mount comes with everything you need to get started. This exclusive bundle from Pyle features our top of the line amplifier receiver, wireless remote control, detachable hardware rack mounts and FM antenna
- 1000W PEAK POWER: The Pyle 5. 2 channel hi-fi home theater receiver is perfect for your home entertainment system. Gives you 1000W peak power to be used for speakers and subwoofers w/ 4-16 ohms impedance, lets you enjoy high quality amplified audio
- BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY: The professional integrated high powered stereo receiver is equipped w/ Bluetooth wireless music streaming. Works with today’s latest devices including Smartphones, iPhone, iPad and computers with hassle Free receiver pairing
- 4K UHD TV SUPPORT: The AV digital amp box is equipped w/ 4K Ultra HD TV, 3D and Blu ray video pass-through support w/ dedicated RCA subwoofer output; Connect and stream audio/video from external devices via USB, RCA, HDMI, optical/digital audio
- EQ CONTROLS: The home amplifier with Bluetooth has 2 ¼” mic inputs with independent input source selection. Equipped w/ next-gen audio DSP sound processing technology and controls for echo, bass, treble, microphone, and volume adjustments
- DIGITAL VFD Display: The home theater surround sound receiver system has a built-in VFD display w/ AM/FM radio. Features front panel control center & integrated over the current, short circuit and over-voltage protection; includes a remote control
- UPGRADE YOUR EXISTING STEREO SYSTEM: bluMe HD Bluetooth Music Receiver is a premium Hi-Fi Bluetooth adapter that streams the highest quality audio wirelessly from your phone, tablet or computer to any home stereo system. Easy setup, connects in seconds.
- STUNNING HIGH QUALITY AUDIO: Featuring the latest Bluetooth 5.0 and support for Qulacomm aptX HD, aptX Low Latency, aptX and AAC decoding, bluMe HD adds high definition Bluetooth to any home stereo system.
- BEST-IN-CLASS SOUND: Built-in true Hi-Fi 384kHz/32-bit upsampling Audiophile Digital to Analogue Converter DAC allows bluMe HD to decode and play audio files in all their lossless glory.
- LONG RANGE BLUETOOTH: Employs special circuitry and precision-tuned antenna to extend the wireless range to up to 100+ feet, providing glitch-free performance that works through multiple walls.
- DIGITAL & ANALOG CONNECTIVITY: bluMe HD provides ultimate compatibility with your existing stereo equipment with audiophile-grade Analog (RCA) and Digital Optical (SPIDIF) outputs.
- CINEMATIC SOUND AT HOME: Enjoy your favorite TV shows & movies, stream your favorite music and more with theater like sound in the comfort of your home
- PHANTOM SURROUND SETTING: Experience 7 channel surround sound with only a 5 channel speaker setup. Chrome cast built in is present
- ADVANCED AUDIO: DTS: X object based surrounds sound adapts to your speaker configuration in real time
- 4K PASS THROUGH: 4K HDR compatible with HDCP 2.2 support for sharper source to screen image quality
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL SYSTEM: Enjoy a multi channel stereo setup and preset channel FM / AM radio tuner
- 420 WATT POWER: The Pyle Digital 5.1 Channel Stereo Receiver is perfect for your karaoke, home theater entertainment system. It gives you 420W peak to be used for multi speakers w/ 4 ohms impedance allowing you to enjoy high quality amplified audio
- 9 INPUTS: The personal digital amp box features 4 HDMI IN / 1 OUT, 3 RCA audio input, subwoofer speaker OUT, preamp OUT, 3 ¼” microphone IN. Connect external sources such as TV, CD DVD player, tape deck. Features 4K ultra, 3D TV pass-through; USB Doubles as Device Charge Port
- BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY: The professional integrated indoor house AV receiver is equipped w/ Bluetooth wireless music streaming. Works w/ today’s latest devices including smart phones, tablets, iPhone and computer w/ hassle-free receiver pairing. Frequency Response: 20-20kHz. S/N Ratio: 85dB
- EQ CONTROLS: The surround sound amplifying device has crisp buttons for the audio sources, selector, mic adjustment and rotary knob for master volume adjustments. Features BT pairing switch, radio tuner, bass/treble, mute and delay buttons
- DISPLAY METER: The compact amplifier has a built-in digital LCD display panel which displays all the functions and input used. AM FM antenna, power cable wire and remote control are also included in the package for distant audio adjustments. Power input AC 115V 60Hz/230V 50Hz
You May Also Like…
- How to Connect TV to Receiver Without HDMI?
- How to Connect Two Bluetooth Speakers at Once?
- How to Add Bluetooth to Stereo or A/V Receiver?
- Can a Universal Remote Work on a Soundbar?
- Are Soundbars a Waste of Money?
Last update on 2021-08-24