Some receivers are a little complicated to use. When buying a receiver, it is easy to lose track of what specs and ports you need. Some receivers come with a Pre-Out which can be confusing for you. So if you are going to buy an A/V receiver, you can have the question in your mind that what a pre-out is and how to use this feature?
A pre-out is a useful feature that allows you to connect an external power amplifier in place of the built-in power amp. This feature helps a signal pass through the receiver without amplification and later be amplified by another power source.
So, you don’t need to think much about the pre-outs when you buy a receiver. Some receivers have a pre-out for every speaker and two subwoofer connections. People use pre-outs on their A/V receiver for various purposes, and it has both pros and cons in usage.
Why Would You Need Pre-Outs?
Most people use the pre-out with a subwoofer. Subwoofers generally come with their internal amplifier, and it is beneficial to use a pre-out connection in this way. But you also can use a pre-out connection with all kinds of channels to your home theatre.
Some of the most expensive A/V receivers remain in lack of sufficient power so that you cannot decorate your home theatre as your wish even if you have enough speaker ports. But separate power amplifiers can calm your mind, and it helps you place the speakers where ever you want what was not possible because of power limitations.
When you are going to use a massive subwoofer or special speaker channels, we recommend using an external amplifier with these added speakers. It can increase the sound quality and lessen the load on your receiver’s built-in amplifier.
Many subwoofers and other speakers come with their power amplifier. These are known as Active Speakers. These subwoofer and speakers require a pre-out connection. If you do them properly, it will improve your hearing experience, lessen the load on your receiver’s built-in amp, and allow your speakers to give the output to the fullest.
Again, if you have the Zone 2 or Zone 3 output ports, you will be able to play audio in another room. Moreover, if your speaker’s size is slightly large, the output ports allow your system to use more power. So you can realize that pre-outs can give you a great opportunity to upgrade your home theatre.
Pros of Using Pre-Outs
I think you have realized some of the Pre-Out’s benefits by reading this post till now. Now let’s take a look at some particular benefits.
Less Strain on Your A/V Receiver
Using pre-outs with an external power source is very beneficial. First of all, after using a pre-out now, your receiver has to use less power. You always have to take care of your A/V receiver, and you should purchase a more expensive type so that you do not have to push it hard to the full capacity.
The Onkyo TX-RZ820 THX-Certified 4K Receiver comes with the pre-outs for 7.1 channels of sound one of the most famous receivers. So that you can scale up and expand your speakers to a pre-out without crossing the receiver’s limit.
The built-in amp of the receiver has a limited power supply. So the pre-out helps the receiver by connecting external amplifiers so that the receiver has to share the power among fewer channels. And it makes the output of the receiver better.
Add Channels and Improve Your Speaker System
The pre-out also increase the capabilities of your surround sound system. With the help of pre-outs, you will make complex setups (such as Dolby Atmos) possible.
If your pre-out section comes with the speaker connections mentioned as “Front Wide” or “Height 2”, then you should use an external power source to power these ports. There are different kinds of usage of your home theatre, but you have to understand when to use each connection which is very important.
Pre-Outs Improve Sonic Character
If you connect both Passive Speakers to the receiver’s built-in power amplifier and the Active Speakers with their power amplifiers, you will be able to get a good output when you are using pre-outs. Your system will be improved. Pre-outs are not necessary for a basic speaker system; you will need pre-outs for more advanced and expensive setups.
Cons of Pre-Outs
Though pre-outs are used to make some advanced and expensive setups possible, still, it has some shortcomings.
Pre-Outs Can Be Expensive
The pre-outs are often costly. If you want to have a high-end home theatre system, you have to pay a good amount. With a more expensive A/V receiver, you will be able to get the experience you are looking for. But buying a powerful A/V receiver with plenty of options in the pre-out section will cost you a lot of money.
If you are shopping for a new receiver, some receivers like the Denon AVR-S540BT 5.2 channel 4K Receiver can convince you. But if you want to expand your receivers later, it will be better if you do not this type of receivers because there are no pre-outs in this receiver.
More Amplifiers Means More Power Consumption
Another thing you should think before buying an A/V receiver is power consumption. The more powerful your receiver is, the more it will use the energy. Moreover, you have to plug your subwoofer into an outlet. Home theatres are quite expensive, and using an advanced system that uses additional power will cost you more.
Additional Cables and Potential Sound Issues
If you use most of the pre-out connections on your receiver, you will meet plenty of cables, and things can get complicated. So you have to have a good idea of cable management to keep your cables organized and safe.
When using different amps, little inconsistencies can occur with your sound. These defects are so minor that nobody will notice.
Is Pre-Outs Common on A/V Receivers?
Nowadays Pre-outs have become pretty common on A/V receivers, mostly on the expensive units. Different kinds of A/V receivers are available on the market with different connections. So you have to be sure what option you need, before buying.
More expensive receivers will surely have more connections than cheaper units. Even some speaker comes with no pre-out connection. But most of the A/V receivers available on the market come with a pre-out connection.
How do I use the Pre-Out on My A/V Receiver?
Using pre-outs of your receiver is not a hard task. First, you have to find out if your speaker is going to use the built-in amplifier of your receiver or it is going to use an external amplifier. For speakers with an external amp, you have to find the supported pre-out connection on the receiver. When you connect your subwoofer with pre-outs, you can connect it through a single tip RCA cable or use an RCA cable and Y-Splitter if there are multiple sub inputs. Some receivers come with a dedicated subwoofer cable. After plugging your receiver and speaker correctly, now you are ready to play audio.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller AV Receivers & Amplifiers:
- 5.2 Channel: The Pyle 5.2 Channel hi fi Home theater receiver is Perfect for Your Home Entertainment system; Gives you 1000 watts peak Power to be used for speakers and subwoofers with 4-16 ohms impedance, lets you enjoy high Quality amplified audio
- Bluetooth compatible: The Professional Integrated high Powered stereo receiver is equipped with Bluetooth wireless music streaming; Works with today’s latest devices including Smart phones, iPhone, iPad and computers with hassle Free receiver pairing
- 4K UHD TV Support: The AV digital amp box is equipped with 4K Ultra HD TV, 3D and Blu ray video pass through support with dedicated RCA subwoofer output; Connect and stream audio/video from external devices via USB, RCA, 3 HDMI, optical/digital audio
- Eq Controls: The Home amplifier with Bluetooth has 2 ¼” mic inputs with independent input source selection. Equipped with next Gen Audio DSP sound processing technology and controls for echo, bass, treble, microphone and volume adjustments
- Digital LCD Display: The Home theater surround sound receiver System has a built in LCD Display and AM/FM radio; Features front panel Control center and Integrated over current, short circuit and over voltage Protection; Includes remote Control
- 5.2 Ch, 725W A/V Receiver (145 W x 7 at 6 ohms).Input and output terminals HDMI Video In/Out (4/1);Composite Video Input (2);Composite Monitor Out (1);Opt Audio Input (2);Coax. Audio Input (1);Analogue Audio Input (4);Headphone Output;USB (1 Front:iPhone/WM);MHL (1 Rear)
- Enhanced use via On Screen Display and streamlined remote. Immersive, ambient audio with HD Digital Cinema Sound
- Supports high-res file playback via USB
- Flexible HDMI connectivity with 4 inputs and 1 output
- Supports 4K pass-through,HDMI Audio Return Channel for playback of TV audio5
- 9.2 Ch. A/V Receiver (130W @ 8 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.9%)
- Supports Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X decoding up to 11.1ch (using 2 extra power amplifiers).
- IMAX enhanced for immersive sound and clarity
- Optimized chassis and internal circuitry for incredible audio performance
- HDMI with HDCP 2.2 support (6in/2out)
- ADVANCED HDMI INPUTS SUPPORT 4K PURE FULL-RATE PASS THROUGH for your ULTRA-HD 4K TV that gives PRISTINE PICTURE QUALITY - 4:4:4 pure color, HDR, and HDCP2.2
- Add the Marantz MM7055 or MM8077 Power Amp to design your choice of a 7.1.4, 5.1, 7.1 or 2.1 speaker setup with virtual height effects & IMMERSE YOURSELF IN THREE-DIMENSIONAL AUDIO FORMATS - IMAX ENHANCED, AURO-3D, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, & DTS Virtual:X
- REMOTELY MONITOR ALL CONNECTED DEVICES while you are on the move. Integrate this receiver with SMART HOME AUTOMATION SYSTEMS like Josh.ai and GAIN COMPLETE CONTROL ON YOUR PHONE OR TABLET FROM ANYWHERE
- STREAM UNLIMITED MUSIC from Pandora, Spotify, TIDAL, Deezer and enjoy FULL VOICE CONTROL COMPATABILITY WITH AMAZON ALEXA & GOOGLE ASSISTANT. Play your favorite tracks via HEOS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or AirPlay 2 from your smartphone or Apple TV
- With 60 YEARS OF INNOVATION and DEDICATION to PREMIUM HOME THEATER ENTERTAINMENT AND AUDIO SYSTEMS, Marantz gives you the best surround sound and stereo listening experience imaginable
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic box. Only select sellers who maintain a high performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon.com
- 7.2 Ch x 145W per channel (6ohms, 1kHz, 1ch THD 0.9%)
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X object-based surround sound
- 4K HDR/Dolby Vision compatibility with HDCP 2.2 support
- HDMI 4-in/1-out with Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)
- Cinematic Sound at Home: Enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows and more with theater like sound in the comfort of your home
- BREATHTAKING AUDIO: Dolby Atmos and DTS: X delivers multi-dimensional and object-based surround sound
- BREATHTAKING AUDIO: Dolby Atmos and DTS:X deliver multi-dimensional and object-based surround sound
- STUNNING 4K QUALITY: 4K HDR pass through with support for Dolby Vision, HDR10, and Hybrid Log Gamma provides greater and clearer color, contrast, and brightness
- GET CONNECTED: 4 in/1 out HDMI each and 1 optical / 1 coaxial digital and analog audio connections
- 1000W PEAK POWER: The Pyle 5. 2 channel hi-fi home theater receiver is perfect for your home entertainment system. Gives you 1000W peak power to be used for speakers and subwoofers w/ 4-16 ohms impedance, lets you enjoy high quality amplified audio
- BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY: The professional integrated high powered stereo receiver is equipped w/ Bluetooth wireless music streaming. Works with today’s latest devices including Smartphones, iPhone, iPad and computers with hassle Free receiver pairing
- 4K UHD TV SUPPORT: The AV digital amp box is equipped w/ 4K Ultra HD TV, 3D and Blu ray video pass-through support w/ dedicated RCA subwoofer output; Connect and stream audio/video from external devices via USB, RCA, HDMI, optical/digital audio
- EQ CONTROLS: The home amplifier with Bluetooth has 2 ¼” mic inputs with independent input source selection. Equipped w/ next-gen audio DSP sound processing technology and controls for echo, bass, treble, microphone, and volume adjustments
- DIGITAL VFD Display: The home theater surround sound receiver system has a built-in VFD display w/ AM/FM radio. Features front panel control center & integrated over the current, short circuit and over-voltage protection; includes a remote control
- CINEMATIC SOUND AT HOME: Enjoy your favorite TV shows & movies, stream your favorite music and more with theater like sound in the comfort of your home
- PHANTOM SURROUND SETTING: Experience 7 channel surround sound with only a 5 channel speaker setup. Chrome cast built in is present
- ADVANCED AUDIO: DTS: X object based surrounds sound adapts to your speaker configuration in real time
- 4K PASS THROUGH: 4K HDR compatible with HDCP 2.2 support for sharper source to screen image quality
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL SYSTEM: Enjoy a multi channel stereo setup and preset channel FM / AM radio tuner
- Use two amplifiers / receivers with one pair of speakers
- In/Out through high quality gold plated heavy duty banana jacks that can accept up to 12 gauge wire
- Channel L and R switched individually
- Protection circuit design safeguards your amplifier and speakers
- Power rating: 100W RMS, 200W PEAK per channel
- A MUSICAL MASTERPIECE CRAFTED TO FIT IN A SLIM 4" TALL PROFILE - This powerful 7-channel discreet amplifier delivers identical power on all 7 channels (50W x 7). AUTO ECO MODE reduces power consumption without compromising on that superb Marantz sound
- ENJOY MOVIES AND LAG-FREE GAMING WITH THE LATEST CONNECTIVITY - Masterful 8K HDMI upscaling, advanced technologies like HDR10, HDR10+, Dynamic HDR, Quick Media Switching (QMS) and ALLM. Upgrade your home theater and gaming experience
- IMMERSIVE SURROUND SOUND WITH HEIGHTENED REALISM - Supports Dolby Atmos, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization, DTS:X & DTS Virtual:X. Enjoy virtual sound effects without installing in-ceiling or upward firing speakers in a humble 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup
- ENDLESS CONNECTION POSSIBILITIES - Features 6 HDMI In / 1 output for your favorite audio & video sources. Connect a turntable, subwoofer, speakers & a host of other devices like DVD & Blu-ray players, USB and more for comprehensive surround system
- WHOLE-HOME ENTERTAINMENT BOX - With built-in HEOS Wireless Multi-room Technology, play the same song in every room, or a different one in each room. Connect all your HEOS speakers to the app and get full control everywhere in your home.
You May Also Like…
- How to Connect TV to Receiver Without HDMI?
- How to Connect Two Bluetooth Speakers at Once?
- How to Add Bluetooth to Stereo or A/V Receiver?
- Can a Universal Remote Work on a Soundbar?
- Are Soundbars a Waste of Money?
Last update on 2021-06-11