Before modern times, people watched black and white TV people had to twist antennas to capture a clear picture. Now is a modern age. Technology has come a long way. Now people made a theater-type environment at their own house to get the true home theater feeling.
HDMI technology has helped to make it easy to connect multiple devices. HDMI cables are very useful for home theater systems. They can carry rich sound and beautiful images without any problem. But once if an HDMI cable goes bad or gets damaged, it can bring your entire home theater system to a screeching, blurry, and cessation.
Now you can ask that what are the most common signs, symptoms, and fixes for a bad HDMI cable.
- Mostly, HDMI problems can be solved simply by checking the HDMI cable. Because HDMI ports are not overly tight, that’s why HDMI cables may become loose through use.
- In case you face handshake issues, you can follow four potential ways to fix them. You can re-sequencing your turn-on process, check the selected input, check your video resolution, and check for software updates.
- You can upgrade to high-speed cables or make sure all devices are HDR compatible, and you can also check the video resolution settings if you face HDR issues.
- For HDMI-DVI issues, you can make sure all devices are HDCP compatible, or you can also check for conversion issues and call technical support.
The HDMI connection is very useful for your home theater system, so you should have a basic knowledge about which issues are most common and also how they can be solved as well. It can be so helpful for you and save money on not buying a new cable with every issue. You will also be able to identify possible issues quickly and have your home theater back up and running.
If you want to get rid of these problems, you should use a high-quality HDMI cable. Every cable does not come with the same quality. Using a low-quality HDMI cable can lead to problems in the future. Here’s a highly recommended best quality HDMI cable on Amazon.
What Makes HDMI So Special?
HDMI stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface. HDMI technology has streamlined connectivity in ways often underestimated. HDMI was introduced to electronic consumers in 2004. It is doing a great job in meeting the needs of consumers till now.
HDMI 2.0 is the latest variant available on the market. It can easily support 4K technology through 12-bit colors and resolutions up to 60 frames per second. HDMI 2.1 will be more upgraded than this. It was announced in 2017 and still in development. With HDMI 2.1, you will be able to watch 10K videos, and it will also expand on 4K and 8K capabilities.
HDMI cables can transport both audio and video signals in between connected devices. There are some other devices available to assist them, such as couplers and so on. With HDMI, you will not need particular cables for sound and pictures.
HDMI also conveys what is known as “handshake” information. Let me explain a little bit, HDMI cables relay copy protection data, component types, capabilities, and restrictions between your connected devices.
HDMI and HDMI ARC (ARC stands for Audio Return Channel) also support Consumer Electronics Control technology which is also known as CES technology. It helps you to control the basic functionality of up to 15 connected devices with just a single remote.
HDMI technology helps you to minimize your home theater system’s footprint; besides, it also increases the capabilities. It is compatible with almost all platforms and devices. It is like a valuable asset in the world of technology. It is very useful for the entire home theater setup.
Testing For a Bad HDMI Cable
Before you start to learn about the most common issues with HDMI cables, you should know how to check for a bad HDMI cable in general.
At first, you should check if your device works when connected through a different HDMI input port on your television, projector, or receiver. Some devices also have many HDMI ports, so you can also check them as well.
If you find every device is working correctly and you are on the right input, but the picture or sound still does not appear, it may be because of your bad HDMI cable. In this case, you just have to replace the HDMI cable.
Common HDMI Issues
Technologies are being upgraded day by day. HDMI technology is a great invention that can provide beautiful pictures and sounds flawless. But after all, sometimes you can face problems as well. But if you have the knowledge related to a bad HDMI cable, that can be helpful and will make it easier to find out a solution.
Some of the common HDMI issues you may face are:
- No picture.
- Blurry or fuzzy picture.
- Intermittent picture.
- Poor resolution.
- Lack of sound.
Your HDMI issues can be solved most of the time simply by checking to make sure your HDMI cable is entirely embedded into each connecting device. If you find out any frayed or exposed wires, then your HDMI cable may have become damaged, and you now have to replace them.
In this article, you will find explanations about some issues you may face. But you should always check your HDMI cable first to ensure it is fully connected to both devices. It will help you to prevent the majority of fixable issues associated with an HDMI cable.
HDMI “Handshake” Issues
The HDMI “handshake” can cause several issues. The High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection is also known as HDCP. It helps to protect copyrighted material. The HDCP 2.2 is great for 4K technology. The HDCP was developed by Intel Corporation. It helps to prevent customers from copying harmed media, such as movies, video games, and broadcasts. Blu-ray, for example, heavily relies on HDCP technology.
HDCP technology work through HDMI cables. So if your HDMI connection is not secure or has become damaged, your home theater will suffer from it.
- Re-Sequence Your Turn On Process. You should know that some of the particular devices need to be turned on in a particular way. This can happen because of the order through which your connections are made, your universal remote’s capabilities, or something else. After all, if your device does not power on or displays a “No Signal” text, then you should try turning your devices on in a different way.
- Check the input you are using. And make sure that all the input is connected with the right port of the connected device. You can scroll by your input options to try another HDMI or component connection to make sure you have selected the right one. If your television has been moved or hit recently, a port may have become damaged. So check that, and you can move your HDMI connection to another port in order to fix that problem.
- Check the Resolution Settings of your video. Some of the devices (such as Blu-ray players) may have the option to change output settings. They can automatically change resolutions to match your television or home theater projector’s capabilities but not every time they choose the correct one. So you should match your device’s output setting to your television or projector to see if this makes a difference in picture quality.
- You should also check for Software Updates. Software updates come so that you do not face a bad connection. If recent updates are made to either of the connected devices, it may cause the “handshake” to fail. So we recommend you to check online for complaints regarding “handshake” issues if you have experienced a recent device update or you are now having connectivity issues.
HDMI HDR Issues
As we have mentioned above that HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. HDR can provide you with images that are subjected to a much broader color range which is far beyond the 4K technology. It can deliver images with much more detail as the expanded color potential offers them a larger scale, and you can even notice the smallest details as well.
HDR is quite a newer technology. That’s why not all devices are capable of supporting it. You can do a few things if your HDR video fed is not coming through as clearly as you would expect.
You can use High-Speed HDMI Cables. HDR technology needs a minimum of 10.2 gigabytes per second (Gbps) connection. And an 18 Gbps connection is ideal. So it would be best if you used an HDMI cable that has the ability of this. You can find the best quality HDMI cables on Amazon.
Make sure that your devices are compatible with HDR. Home theater systems have different parts. If you connect an HDR-capable device through a receiver to a television or projector, you should make sure that the receiver is also compatible with HDR as well. If your television or projector is not compatible with HDR, then, unfortunately, you will not be able to enjoy the beauty of HDR.
You should also check Your Video Resolution Settings. The “handshake” issues here also your device’s video resolution settings may be selected to auto. But HDR technology is only compatible with 4K devices. So you should make sure you have selected this option on your devices.
HDMI DVI Issues
Digital Visual Interface (also known as DVI) technology was invented and used before HDMI. Many older televisions and devices that people are still using today have DVI technology instead of HDMI. DVI can only transfer video signals. They are unable to transfer audio signals. So if you need to transfer the audio signal, you have to use either RCA or 3.5mm audio cables instead.
But your HDMI device can still be connected to your DVI devices with just a use of a conversion cable or a specially-made adapter.
- Make sure that your devices are compatible with HDCP. Because if you want to use a device that requires an HDMI cable, then you have to be sure first about your DVI device capable of supporting HDCP. All because of the HDMI “handshake” can happen through DVI conversions. And it can be rejected if the older gadget is not capable of accepting the copyright data.
- You should also check for Conversion Issues. HDMI to DVI conversion cables and adapters sometimes will not work perfectly. So it would be best if you read reviews on the cables or adapters before you buy that so that you can easily find out the most reliable one.
- You should check for software updates as well. Just because your older device is HDCP compliant, the current software on it may not be able to recognize the HDMI device you are trying to connect. If you experience this type of problem, you can call your DVI device’s tech support.
You want to connect your laptop to your home theater system, but the screen stays blank; what can you do?
Answer: You should make sure that your laptop or desktop has HDMI selected as the default output connection. If still, you face the problem, you can try to troubleshoot it simply by following the following steps:
- At first, boot up your computer with the HDMI cable connected to both the computer and a TV that is on already.
- Turn the TV on after booting up the connected computer
- Boot up the computer and television individually, then connect the two with an HDMI cable. However, you should remember that in some cases, you will need to use a VGA cable in place of an HDMI cable.
What can I do about my Wireless HDMI issues?
The Wireless HDMI technology is also known as WHDI and/ or WiHD (it actually depends on the format). It is pretty new, though. They help you to give your home a minimalistic look and free you from the hassle of cables. It is a great thing for the people who have devices that are spaced far apart.
Whatever they also come with their own disadvantages. If you have already experienced issues with your wireless HDMI, you should try to moving it around to help prevent interference often caused by line-of-sight and distance. If still, it does not help, we recommend you call tech support for your particular device.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller List of HDMI Cables:
- HDMI A Male to A Male Cable: Supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K video and Audio Return Channel (ARC)
- Connects Blu-ray players, Fire TV, Apple TV, PS4, PS3, XBox One, Xbox 360, computers and other HDMI-enabled devices to TVs, displays, A/V receivers and more
- Cable allows you to share an Internet connection among multiple devices without the need for a separate Ethernet cable
- Meets HDMI standards (4K Video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 48 bit/px color depth) that supports bandwidth up to 18Gbps and backwards compatible with earlier versions.
- Cable Length: 10 feet (3 meters)
- 【Top [email protected] HDMI Cable】 This 8K HDMI Cable uses the most cutting-edge technology, is compatible with [email protected] and [email protected], clearly displays every particle, and accurately processes every signal source. With 8K HDMI's unique dynamic HDR and 12 Bit color processing technology, each scene of the video is every frame, with more ideal depth, brightness, detail, contrast and wider color gamut.
- 【Upgrade Revolution----HDMI 2.1】 Hingwings 8K HDMI Cable conforms to the standard HDMI 2.1 version. Compared with HDMI 2.0, its transmission speed has a qualitative leap, from 18Gbps to 48Gbps (6GB/s) directly, and there will no longer be stuck or dropped frames when watching video from now on. Support eARC, can achieve more advanced audio signal control capabilities. It is also backward compatible with HDMI 2.0b/2.0a/1.4/1.3/1.2/1.1 versions
- 【HDMI Cable For Game Enthusiasts】 This HDMI Cable is not limited to [email protected], it can break through 4K and achieve 8K ultra-high image quality. It can also achieve a super smooth picture of [email protected] Its latest game mode supports variable refresh rate, maximizes the value of the graphics card and CPU, and is more accurate in the processing of rendered images. When the scene is switched, the refresh rate will change accordingly to obtain a smoother and more detailed picture.
- 【Reinforced classic high-quality materials】 This 8K HDMI Cable uses Hingwings' most popular classic style, with a new smart chip, making it reach an unprecedented height. The strength of the aluminum alloy shell and the tail's anti-bending design has been upgraded to make it more durable. The plug part is still made of 24K gold-plated material, which accurately transmits signals. The military grade tensile nylon material also greatly extends its life.
- 【The ultimate perfectionist】 This HDMI 8K cable was made at the factory. Every cable and even every part has been put through rigorous testing. We've combined every flawless part into a perfect 8K HDMI cable. Then pass the performance tests in the laboratory and present them to you after passing the exam.
- 4K HDMI Cable: Male to Male HDMI Cable Supports 4K Video @ 60Hz, 2K, 1080P, 48 bit/px HDR color depth, TrueHD 7.1, Audio Return Channel (ARC) & Ethernet
- Premium Quality HDMI Cable: This HDMI cable has 30WG copper wire, triple tin shielded in a double braided premium nylon with gold plated corrosion resistant connectors for guaranteed top tier image & sound
- Full Compatibility: Ultra high speed 4K HDMI cable supports 18Gbps transfer and is backwards compatible with earlier versions of HDMI cable (1.3/1.4/2.0/2.0a) NOT for 8K
- Universal HDMI Cable: Works with all of your HDMI devices. Blu-ray players, Fire TV, Apple TV, PS5, PS4, XBox One, Nintendo Switch, computer, laptop, monitor, projector and more. An essential HDMI cable for all of your home & office devices
- 10 Feet 1 Pack: One 10 ft HDMI cable (3 meters) thickness 0.24 inches (6 mm)
- ⚡【High Speed HDMI Cable】: High Speed HDMI Cable supports HDMI 2.0b including 18 Gbps, Mirror & Extend mode, Ultra HD 4K 2160p, HD 2K 1080p, QHD 1440p, HDCP 2.2, 48-Bit Deep Color, Audio Return(ARC), Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio and Hot plugging.
- ⚡【4k HDMI Cable】: Features an ultra-durable nylon-braided jacket with a bend lifespan of 6000+ and High quality 24K gold plated connectors,This hdmi cord is perfect for any desk or entertainment setup, and is guaranteed to last in long term applications.(PS:The 4k Logo is printed on the aluminum shell which is wrapped around by a piece of plastic film to protect the shell from scraching ,feel free to remove the film when you use it.)
- ⚡【Our Hdmi Cable Innovative improvement】 - Backwards compatibility with all HDMI versions including HDMI 1.3 / 1.4 / 2.0 / 2.0a / 2.1. Tinplate Metal Shielding and gold-plated, corrosion-resistant connectors can protect against external signal interference, guarantee stable signal transmission and minimize signal loss.
- ⚡【Compatible with all HDMI Components】: Backwards compatibility with all HDMI versions including HDMI 1.3 / 1.4 / 2.0 / 2.0a / 2.1. Perfect for all HDMI enabled devices such as TV's, Monitors, Computers, PS3, PS4, other HDMI-enabled devices to your 4K/HD TV, monitors, displays or projectors.
- ⚡【Package Contents】: Capshi 4K HDMI Cable 6.6ft, You are welcome to contact us if you have any questions or concerns. Our reliable customer service will reply within 24 hours, always.
- 【Real 8K Ultra HDMI Cable 】The 8K HDMI cable 6.6 ft supports 48Gbps Ultra High Speed,Mirror,Extend&Game mode [email protected] UHD Video, [email protected],Resolution up to 7680*4320,3D,Dynamic HDR,HDCP2.2.You can enjoy best viewing experience with your family just at home,provide the best visual enjoyment.
- 【HDMI 8K 2.1 Cable】The HDMI 2.1 Cable adds enhanced audio return channel (eARC), provides high-definition audio and highest audio quality. The 8k hdmi cable 48gbps 2.1 also supports variable refresh rate (VRR), solves the problem of picture freeze and tear, making the game more smooth.
- 【Wide Compatibility】Capshi 8K HDMI Cable compatible with version 2.1, backward compatible with HDMI 2.0b/2.0a/2.0/1.4/1.3/1.2/1.1 version.Support Laptop,Blu-Ray Player,HDTV,Monitor,Projector and More any HDMI devices.
- 【Flexible And Durable】The HDMI Cord with unique 28AWG design,10,000 times bending test, triple shielding layer shielded, CL2 rated jacket, and covered with cotton yarn sleeve,gives the cable stronger protection and flexible performance than others . Do not worry about entanglement, effectively extending service Life, it makes the cable can transfer the signals in high speed and low loss.
- 【Premium Support】★★As a responsible seller,we provide you 1 pack Gaming HDMI Cable 8K + 24/7 customer service.Welcome to contact us if you have any questions or concerns. Our reliable Customer Service will be sure to reply within 24 hours and offer proper solutions for you.
- 8K 48Gbps HDMI cable for transmitting video and audio signals from source to display
- Connect tablets, laptops and other host devices to projectors, video conference systems, HDTV, monitors, and more
- Flexible and durable PVC cable; Gold-plated HDMI connector resists corrosion and abrasion and enhances the signal transmission performance
- Supports Ethernet, 3D, [email protected] or [email protected] video, and Audio Return Channel (ARC); 48Gbps bandwith
- Plug and play design removes the need for complicated drivers or setup time
- [4k HDMI Cable 3.3FT] - Snowkids' Ultra High Definition 4K HDMI cable supports resolutions up to 4K (3840 * 2160 at 60Hz), giving you the smoothest visual experience of projection, home theater or high definition TV.
- [High-speed HDMI 2.0 Cable] - Transmit video and audio at lightning speed, bring you the ultimate audio-visual feast. Durable nylon braided also protect against external signal interference, ensures stable transmission and eliminate data loss.
- [Premium Quality HDMI Cable] - Combining gold-plated connectors, high-quality aluminum shell with copper core, this HDMI cable provides better anticorrosion property and particularly good flexibility, withstand more than 15,000 bending test for enhanced protection and durability.
- [Compatibility] - Compatible for 3D Blu-Ray players, PS3, PS4, HDTV, TV, Blu-ray Player, Projector, 4KUltra HD, etc. Support the HD image in Mirror Mode to be copied to HD screen and in Extended Mode to run split screen.
- [Reduce latency] - Our hdmi cable gives you a smoother and more accurate gaming experience with variable refresh rate, fast frame transmission, quick media switching and automatic low-latency mode.
- HIGH SPEED– Supports 4K Ultra HD (UHD) resolution, 3D, Deep Color, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master audio for a bright, clear video experience.
- COMPATIBLE WITH – Blu-ray Players, Samsung, Sony, LG and more TV brands, PlayStation and Xbox gaming consoles, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV, A/V receiver, and more!
- GOLD-PLATED GRIPPING CONNECTORS – Corrosion resistant connectors provide optimal audio and video signal transfer during the life of this cable. The gripping connectors create 3 times the port friction to prevent the cable from accidentally disconnecting because of vibrations or movement.
- BRAID SHIELD - Prevent and protects the cable from unwanted noise interference that can disrupt and degrade video transmission signals. This helps to ensure you receive clear, noise free, vivid picture/audio quality
- PACKAGING – To ensure you receive the highest quality products C2G packages all product in C2G branded packaging
- High Speed HDMI Cable: High Speed HDMI Cable supports HDMI 2.0b including 18Gbps high bandwidth, Mirror & Extend mode Ultra HD 4K 2160p, HD 2K 1080p, QHD 1440p, HDCP 2.2, 48-Bit Deep Color, Audio Return(ARC), Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio and Hot plugging.
- 4K HDMI Cable HDR Video: HDMI Cables Male to Male Supports 4K Video @ 60Hz, 3D, Backward compatible with 2K @120Hz (4:2:2, 4:2:0), 2K @60Hz(4:4:4), Full HD 1080p, and HD 720p.
- Superior Design: This HDMI cable has 28AWG copper wire, triple tin shielded in a double braided premium nylon with gold plated corrosion resistant connectors for guaranteed top tier image & sound
- Universal HDMI Cable: Compatible with all of your HDMI devices. Blu-ray players, Fire TV, Apple TV, PS5, PS4, XBox One, Nintendo Switch, computer, laptop, monitor, projector and more. Indispensable hdmi cables for home and office equipment.
- 6 Feet 2-Pack: The perfect length, with the combination of two outfits, allows you to have more choices in application scenarios without worrying about usage issues.
- Nylon-braided HDMI cable (A Male to A Male): supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K video, and Audio Return Channel (ARC)
- Connects Blu-ray players, Fire TV, Apple TV, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, computers, and other HDMI-enabled devices to TVs, displays, A/V receivers, and more
- Allows for sharing an Internet connection among multiple devices without the need for a separate Ethernet cable
- Meets HDMI standards (4K Video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 48 bit/px color depth); supports bandwidth up to 18Gbps and backwards compatible with earlier versions.
- Cable length: 3 feet (0.9 meters); backed by an Amazon Basics Lifetime warranty
You May Also Like…
- What is HDMI Splitter? How Does HDMI Splitter Work?
- 10 Best Soundbars with Built In Subwoofers
- Where to Place Subwoofer with Soundbar: Subwoofer Placement
- Amplifier vs Receiver: Is Amplifier Same as Receiver?
- Top 11 Best Soundbars without Subwoofers
Last update on 2021-06-10