HDMI cables are generally used for critical connections, such as carrying high-quality video and audio signals. So you have to make sure that it can work without any problem and the whole setup will successfully work. While doing this, you may think that does the length of HDMI cables is going to have an effect on the quality? So does the length of HDMI cables really matter?
Yes. The length of an HDMI cable may harm the quality of the signal. Most manufacturers usually recommend not to extend the cable more than 20 feet. While most people won’t need to extend the cable more than 6 feet at a time, but if you need to run HDMI further than that, you would be grateful to know that there is a way to do that while keeping the signal quality.
What is the Max Optimal Length for an HDMI Cable?
You might know that there are many solutions to your question out there, but all of them aren’t so clear at all. If you do not get the full details, then that would not be useful at all. At first, you should know that HDMI actually means the specification of a cable. That specification has a certain amount of tests you can use to see if a cable passes or fails the certification for the cable spec. So you can use any cable to test and see if they work with the spec.
You should also know why a cable fails the specification tests. HDMI uses optical cables. So the longer the cable is, the more the signal has to change while traveling. And the degradation of the signal, while it travels down the cable, is a usual affair. So using a short cable is obviously a good thing than using a long cable.
Many manufacturers will sell clear HDMI cables up to 50 feet in length, but you should displace them when you start to notice they’re degenerating. You should not buy an HDMI cable with a length of more than 50 feet. If you get any degraded signal, that does not mean that the cable will stop working. It’s just that the signal on the other end of the cable gets worse and worse. Most manufacturers recommend not extending the cable more than 20 feet if you do not have any extra power solution. So though there is no maximum length is determined, so you should think of 20 feet as the maximum optimal length.
Powered HDMI Cable Solutions – How to Resolve Cable Length Issues
- 𝐌𝐀𝐙𝐈𝐌𝐔𝐌 𝐁𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐖𝐈𝐃𝐓𝐇 𝐔𝐏 𝐓𝐎 𝟔.𝟕𝟓 𝐆𝐁𝐏𝐒 - Support HDMI1.3v & 1.2 signal /deep color 36bit/xv-YCC/1080p 24fs/DTS-HD.
- 𝐄𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐕𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐎 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐂𝐄 𝐔𝐏 𝐓𝐎 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝐅𝐓 - For 200ft transmit distance via CAT6/CAT7 LAN cable. For 165ft transmit distance via CAT5e cable. Zero Video Latency. NOTE: We recommend using direct HDMI to HDMI connections, avoid using signal converters or adapters at all costs.
- 𝐒𝐔𝐏𝐏𝐎𝐑𝐓 𝐕𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐅 𝐕𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐎 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐒 - HDCP 1.2/1.4 ; 1080P/1080i/720P/576P/576i/480P/480i; 3D video supported
- 𝐕𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐎 𝐂𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐑 & 𝐀𝐔𝐃𝐈𝐎 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐒𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 - 36bit(CAT7); 24bit(CAT6); Supports 2-channel PCM audio only. Supports Dolby Digital / DTS pass through if copied EDID from right display devices.
- 𝐎𝐏𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐈𝐙𝐄𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄 - For better picture quality and longer distance transfer, we recommend to use Cat 6 or Cat 7 cable. For better performance, we suggest using solid COPPER ethernet cable with this product. For GUARANTEED optimal performance, use the J-Tech Digital Customized 150ft Cat6 Ethernet Cable. Please search the JTD-ID 943 on our website for more details.
The longer the HDMI cable is, the more bad your Video and Audio quality will be. So you can ask that what if you have to use a longer cable? Or is there any way to enlarge the cable without affecting the media quality?
If you do not really care about the quality, if you do not want your cable to play 4k video to a high-end projector or TV, you can easily use a longer cable. It will obviously get the job done without any problem, though the quality will not be that good.
But if the quality of the signal really matters to you, then you can buy and use a powered HDMI kit that extends the signal properly by boosting it or converting it to another format entirely. The most general way to do that is to convert the signal and boost it with a balun kit or use a wireless kit ant kick the cable off your system.
HDMI Balun Kits – Easily Extend the Length of HDMI Cables
- ✔ COST-EFFECTIVE SOLUTION - Extends HDMI audio/video signals over a cost effective CAT6/7 cable up to 165ft. Use gofanco pure COPPER CAT6 cables to ensure reliable performance: Search CAT6UTP-100 (B07PB3R8BK) / CAT6UTP-150 (B07P6TDMLH)
- ✔ HDMI LOSSLESS TRANSMISSION - It extends HDMI audio/video signals to synchronous output. Video display is as fluent as direct connection; Supports 480i/480p/720p/1080p at 60Hz video resolutions and 2-channel stereo audio; Compatible with HDCP compliant devices & content
- ✔ HDMI LOOP-OUT - Additional HDMI output on the Transmitter to connect to a local display for monitoring or cascade HDMI signals; Supports EDID pass-through. *Note: Monitors connected to the HDMI Loop-out and the Receiver unit will display the same resolution. The lowest common resolution will be used if there’s a mismatch in display resolution
- ✔ IR REMOTE CONTROL- Allow source device to recognize remote commands; You can control the HDMI source device at a secondary location with the included IR cables that forward commands over a CAT6 cable for convenience
- ✔ SIMPLE INSTALLATION - No driver required; Surface mountable metal housing provides durability and minimizes EMI/RFI noise interference. FCC, CE & RoHS compliant. Our products are backed with a 1-year limited warranty and experienced tech support team in Silicon Valley. Please click on gofanco in the buy box and select “Ask a Question” if you have any questions or concerns.
Using an HDMI balun kit is one of the easiest ways to extend the HDMI cable length. This kit converts the HDMI signal to something that can flow along a CAT 5 cable, which doesn’t have the same length limitations, and at the end of the cable, the signal is again converted back to HDMI.
The CAT 5 cable comes with a “maximum” length of 100 meters or 328 feet. So you can easily enlarge the length of an HDMI connection and take it wherever you want with the help of an HDMI balun kit.
But you should remember that not every HDMI balun kit works great. If you buy a cheap quality balun kit, then you may face the same issues as using a long HDMI cable.
Wireless HDMI Kits – A Different Solution for Cable Length Issues
- Transmits high definition video and audio up to 150ft
- Supports resolutions of up to 1080P @ 60fps
- Supports infrared (IR) remote signal transmission to control source device
- Plug-n-play solution. Hdmi 1. 3V and HDCP compliant. Wpa security protection - already paired
- Perfect applications are for the living room, patio, man/lady cave, supporting events, garage. Video streaming up to 10. 2 Gaps
There is also another path that you can use. You use a wireless HDMI kit instead of an HDMI balun kit. This does not only increase the range, but also it saves you from the hassle of cables. But it can be costly if you want to send a 4k video. But if you’re only running a 1080p setup, then it will not be that much expensive. In this system, you will face some limitations with refresh rate and lag; that’s why we do not recommend it for gaming purposes.
Best HDMI Cables to Use for Long Distance Runs
- In-Wall Series - Fire-resistant PVC Jacket, and availablility in lengths of 15ft, 25ft, 35ft & 50ft make the BlueRigger CL3 Rated cable ideal for in-wall installation
- Supports the latest HDMI Standard - 4K 30Hz, UHD, 3D, Audio Return Channel (ARC), Category 2 Certified,10.2 Gbps / 340 MHz Refresh Rate, 1080p, 48 Bit Deep Color, Ethernet and is backwards compatible with earlier versions
- Reliable Construction - Durable, high-quality build protects against corrosion while maximizing signal strength - 100% Pure copper conductors, Triple Cable Shielding, 24K Gold-plated full metal jacket connectors
- Compatible with all HDMI Components - Connect Blu-Ray Player, Apple TV, Xbox One, PS4, Roku, and laptops with HDMI output to 4K UHD TV, projectors, A/V Receiver, etc.
- BlueRigger cables are backed by a Limited Lifetime Warranty and US-based customer support
Still, suppose you want to use an extended HDMI cable without having any external converter units or trying out wireless. In that case, you can use some special cables that are specialized for getting a clearer signal. But these cables are not so cheap though they are affordable. You can find most of them for under $100.
For your help, the BJC Series-FE Bonded-Pair HDMI Cable is available on Amazon with a length of 25 feet, and you can get them for around 75 dollars. Many sellers are selling fake cables. So always make sure to check the details before you buy and look for sellers who individually call out that their cable is “Certified (Category 1)”. It actually means they pass all the tests required in the HDMI standard that we already have talked about in the earlier part of this article.
On the other hand, cables like the BlueRigger High-Speed HDMI Cable (on Amazon) are available with a length of 50 feet, and you can get them for only 28 dollars. So if you do not want to get high-quality and little high-priced cables like the BJC series, then you can get one of these cables and get your work done. It will be best for you to order both of them and test them out. If you do not see any difference between them, send back the expensive one.
A Note on What Matters When Buying Cables
If you have ever had a quick search on amazon about HDMI cables, then you may know that there are more acronyms than words in the description of a cable. That’s why sometimes you may not understand some features that are provided by the cable.
You will see most of the sellers are selling cables at a premium rate for “gold connectors” or “braided cords,” but you should know that these labels actually do not really matter to the signal; they are just for show and to pump the price up. You can also see some sellers use the word “advanced” or “high speed” in the title of their cables, but these are not technical descriptions; these are only for marketing.
Some of the manufacturers even add an “HD” label on their products, which is also a different thing. Because all HDMI cables are HD, so it is not a special feature. So you should look for “4k” tags if you need 4k. You should also look for shielded cables because these cables work better than unshielded, but it can be a little confusing. Because actually, all cables are shielded, but some manufacturers add extra shielding.
I think all the given information will help you to set up a great home theater. But here is one more question that you may have before you buy anything:
Does the HDMI quality even matter?
If you really want to use a long, simple HDMI cable, then there’s at least a possibility that you don’t need to worry about any of this. Its quality will always be a little degraded. However, the signal will be degraded. But if you want to play 720p or 1080p video and stream from Netflix, then you will not face that much problem.
If you buy and use top of a line 4k projector, then you will feel that the video quality is really good. But there a question comes that how you’re going to use your system? There are many solutions, including expensive options that will provide you higher quality, but before you buy them, we recommend you to think and consider if you really need them or not?
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller List of HDMI Cables:
- HDMI A Male to A Male Cable: Supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K video and Audio Return Channel (ARC)
- Connects Blu-ray players, Fire TV, Apple TV, PS4, PS3, XBox One, Xbox 360, computers and other HDMI-enabled devices to TVs, displays, A/V receivers and more
- Cable allows you to share an Internet connection among multiple devices without the need for a separate Ethernet cable
- Meets HDMI standards (4K Video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 48 bit/px color depth) that supports bandwidth up to 18Gbps and backwards compatible with earlier versions.
- Cable Length: 10 feet (3 meters)
- 【Top [email protected] HDMI Cable】 This 8K HDMI Cable uses the most cutting-edge technology, is compatible with [email protected] and [email protected], clearly displays every particle, and accurately processes every signal source. With 8K HDMI's unique dynamic HDR and 12 Bit color processing technology, each scene of the video is every frame, with more ideal depth, brightness, detail, contrast and wider color gamut.
- 【Upgrade Revolution----HDMI 2.1】 Hingwings 8K HDMI Cable conforms to the standard HDMI 2.1 version. Compared with HDMI 2.0, its transmission speed has a qualitative leap, from 18Gbps to 48Gbps (6GB/s) directly, and there will no longer be stuck or dropped frames when watching video from now on. Support eARC, can achieve more advanced audio signal control capabilities. It is also backward compatible with HDMI 2.0b/2.0a/1.4/1.3/1.2/1.1 versions
- 【HDMI Cable For Game Enthusiasts】 This HDMI Cable is not limited to [email protected], it can break through 4K and achieve 8K ultra-high image quality. It can also achieve a super smooth picture of [email protected] Its latest game mode supports variable refresh rate, maximizes the value of the graphics card and CPU, and is more accurate in the processing of rendered images. When the scene is switched, the refresh rate will change accordingly to obtain a smoother and more detailed picture.
- 【Reinforced classic high-quality materials】 This 8K HDMI Cable uses Hingwings' most popular classic style, with a new smart chip, making it reach an unprecedented height. The strength of the aluminum alloy shell and the tail's anti-bending design has been upgraded to make it more durable. The plug part is still made of 24K gold-plated material, which accurately transmits signals. The military grade tensile nylon material also greatly extends its life.
- 【The ultimate perfectionist】 This HDMI 8K cable was made at the factory. Every cable and even every part has been put through rigorous testing. We've combined every flawless part into a perfect 8K HDMI cable. Then pass the performance tests in the laboratory and present them to you after passing the exam.
- 4K HDMI Cable: Male to Male HDMI Cable Supports 4K Video @ 60Hz, 2K, 1080P, 48 bit/px HDR color depth, TrueHD 7.1, Audio Return Channel (ARC) & Ethernet
- Premium Quality HDMI Cable: This HDMI cable has 30WG copper wire, triple tin shielded in a double braided premium nylon with gold plated corrosion resistant connectors for guaranteed top tier image & sound
- Full Compatibility: Ultra high speed 4K HDMI cable supports 18Gbps transfer and is backwards compatible with earlier versions of HDMI cable (1.3/1.4/2.0/2.0a) NOT for 8K
- Universal HDMI Cable: Works with all of your HDMI devices. Blu-ray players, Fire TV, Apple TV, PS5, PS4, XBox One, Nintendo Switch, computer, laptop, monitor, projector and more. An essential HDMI cable for all of your home & office devices
- 10 Feet 1 Pack: One 10 ft HDMI cable (3 meters) thickness 0.24 inches (6 mm)
- 8K 48Gbps HDMI cable for transmitting video and audio signals from source to display
- Connect tablets, laptops and other host devices to projectors, video conference systems, HDTV, monitors, and more
- Flexible and durable PVC cable; Gold-plated HDMI connector resists corrosion and abrasion and enhances the signal transmission performance
- Supports Ethernet, 3D, [email protected] or [email protected] video, and Audio Return Channel (ARC); 48Gbps bandwith
- Plug and play design removes the need for complicated drivers or setup time
- ⚡【High Speed HDMI Cable】: High Speed HDMI Cable supports HDMI 2.0b including 18 Gbps, Mirror & Extend mode, Ultra HD 4K 2160p, HD 2K 1080p, QHD 1440p, HDCP 2.2, 48-Bit Deep Color, Audio Return(ARC), Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio and Hot plugging.
- ⚡【4k HDMI Cable】: Features an ultra-durable nylon-braided jacket with a bend lifespan of 6000+ and High quality 24K gold plated connectors,This hdmi cord is perfect for any desk or entertainment setup, and is guaranteed to last in long term applications.(PS:The 4k Logo is printed on the aluminum shell which is wrapped around by a piece of plastic film to protect the shell from scraching ,feel free to remove the film when you use it.)
- ⚡【Our Hdmi Cable Innovative improvement】 - Backwards compatibility with all HDMI versions including HDMI 1.3 / 1.4 / 2.0 / 2.0a / 2.1. Tinplate Metal Shielding and gold-plated, corrosion-resistant connectors can protect against external signal interference, guarantee stable signal transmission and minimize signal loss.
- ⚡【Compatible with all HDMI Components】: Backwards compatibility with all HDMI versions including HDMI 1.3 / 1.4 / 2.0 / 2.0a / 2.1. Perfect for all HDMI enabled devices such as TV's, Monitors, Computers, PS3, PS4, other HDMI-enabled devices to your 4K/HD TV, monitors, displays or projectors.
- ⚡【Package Contents】: Capshi 4K HDMI Cable 6.6ft, You are welcome to contact us if you have any questions or concerns. Our reliable customer service will reply within 24 hours, always.
- 【Real 8K Ultra HDMI Cable 】The 8K HDMI cable 6.6 ft supports 48Gbps Ultra High Speed,Mirror,Extend&Game mode [email protected] UHD Video, [email protected],Resolution up to 7680*4320,3D,Dynamic HDR,HDCP2.2.You can enjoy best viewing experience with your family just at home,provide the best visual enjoyment.
- 【HDMI 8K 2.1 Cable】The HDMI 2.1 Cable adds enhanced audio return channel (eARC), provides high-definition audio and highest audio quality. The 8k hdmi cable 48gbps 2.1 also supports variable refresh rate (VRR), solves the problem of picture freeze and tear, making the game more smooth.
- 【Wide Compatibility】Capshi 8K HDMI Cable compatible with version 2.1, backward compatible with HDMI 2.0b/2.0a/2.0/1.4/1.3/1.2/1.1 version.Support Laptop,Blu-Ray Player,HDTV,Monitor,Projector and More any HDMI devices.
- 【Flexible And Durable】The HDMI Cord with unique 28AWG design,10,000 times bending test, triple shielding layer shielded, CL2 rated jacket, and covered with cotton yarn sleeve,gives the cable stronger protection and flexible performance than others . Do not worry about entanglement, effectively extending service Life, it makes the cable can transfer the signals in high speed and low loss.
- 【Premium Support】★★As a responsible seller,we provide you 1 pack Gaming HDMI Cable 8K + 24/7 customer service.Welcome to contact us if you have any questions or concerns. Our reliable Customer Service will be sure to reply within 24 hours and offer proper solutions for you.
- High Speed HDMI Cable: High Speed HDMI Cable supports HDMI 2.0b including 18Gbps high bandwidth, Mirror & Extend mode Ultra HD 4K 2160p, HD 2K 1080p, QHD 1440p, HDCP 2.2, 48-Bit Deep Color, Audio Return(ARC), Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio and Hot plugging.
- 4K HDMI Cable HDR Video: HDMI Cables Male to Male Supports 4K Video @ 60Hz, 3D, Backward compatible with 2K @120Hz (4:2:2, 4:2:0), 2K @60Hz(4:4:4), Full HD 1080p, and HD 720p.
- Superior Design: This HDMI cable has 28AWG copper wire, triple tin shielded in a double braided premium nylon with gold plated corrosion resistant connectors for guaranteed top tier image & sound
- Universal HDMI Cable: Compatible with all of your HDMI devices. Blu-ray players, Fire TV, Apple TV, PS5, PS4, XBox One, Nintendo Switch, computer, laptop, monitor, projector and more. Indispensable hdmi cables for home and office equipment.
- 6 Feet 2-Pack: The perfect length, with the combination of two outfits, allows you to have more choices in application scenarios without worrying about usage issues.
- HIGH SPEED– Supports 4K Ultra HD (UHD) resolution, 3D, Deep Color, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master audio for a bright, clear video experience.
- COMPATIBLE WITH – Blu-ray Players, Samsung, Sony, LG and more TV brands, PlayStation and Xbox gaming consoles, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV, A/V receiver, and more!
- GOLD-PLATED GRIPPING CONNECTORS – Corrosion resistant connectors provide optimal audio and video signal transfer during the life of this cable. The gripping connectors create 3 times the port friction to prevent the cable from accidentally disconnecting because of vibrations or movement.
- BRAID SHIELD - Prevent and protects the cable from unwanted noise interference that can disrupt and degrade video transmission signals. This helps to ensure you receive clear, noise free, vivid picture/audio quality
- PACKAGING – To ensure you receive the highest quality products C2G packages all product in C2G branded packaging
- Nylon-braided HDMI cable (A Male to A Male): supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K video, and Audio Return Channel (ARC)
- Connects Blu-ray players, Fire TV, Apple TV, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, computers, and other HDMI-enabled devices to TVs, displays, A/V receivers, and more
- Allows for sharing an Internet connection among multiple devices without the need for a separate Ethernet cable
- Meets HDMI standards (4K Video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 48 bit/px color depth); supports bandwidth up to 18Gbps and backwards compatible with earlier versions.
- Cable length: 3 feet (0.9 meters); backed by an Amazon Basics Lifetime warranty
- [4k HDMI Cable 3.3FT] - Snowkids' Ultra High Definition 4K HDMI cable supports resolutions up to 4K (3840 * 2160 at 60Hz), giving you the smoothest visual experience of projection, home theater or high definition TV.
- [High-speed HDMI 2.0 Cable] - Transmit video and audio at lightning speed, bring you the ultimate audio-visual feast. Durable nylon braided also protect against external signal interference, ensures stable transmission and eliminate data loss.
- [Premium Quality HDMI Cable] - Combining gold-plated connectors, high-quality aluminum shell with copper core, this HDMI cable provides better anticorrosion property and particularly good flexibility, withstand more than 15,000 bending test for enhanced protection and durability.
- [Compatibility] - Compatible for 3D Blu-Ray players, PS3, PS4, HDTV, TV, Blu-ray Player, Projector, 4KUltra HD, etc. Support the HD image in Mirror Mode to be copied to HD screen and in Extended Mode to run split screen.
- [Reduce latency] - Our hdmi cable gives you a smoother and more accurate gaming experience with variable refresh rate, fast frame transmission, quick media switching and automatic low-latency mode.
You May Also Like…
- How to Setup Logitech Harmony Hub?
- What is 4K Soundbar?
- Sonos Playbar vs. Bose SoundTouch 300
- How To Use Bluetooth Speaker With Amazon Fire Stick?
- How to Mount Soundbar to TV?
Last update on 2021-06-11