You can often fall into a situation where you will not be able to run the cables to your surround speakers. Not everyone wants to crawl through their attic and run only 1 or 2 cables to get the signal to their rear speakers. We also do not do that. We have also snaked through my good part of attics, and We can assure you that it’s not a time to enjoy at all.
Wireless speakers are the future of today’s audio/video setups. But not everybody has the ability to buy and set up higher-end wireless speakers. Sometimes one question can come to mind: can you convert your current surround sound speakers to wireless speakers?
YES, you can do it very easily with the help of a wireless speaker kit. You can easily convert your current surround sound speakers to wireless speakers. These wireless speaker kits send the audio signal to your regular speakers via RF (radio-frequency), and that’s how they make your regular speakers wireless. Sometimes you may also need to connect a separate amplifier to the speakers to provide power because most of these kits do not provide power to the speakers.
There are many ways how wireless technology receives or sends a signal to your speakers. By reading this article, you will know how these wireless kits make regular speakers wireless. Moreover, you will also know how you should set up a wireless kit. Most of these wireless kits are very easy to set up, so there is nothing to worry about.
How wireless speaker kit make regular speakers wireless?
- 4-Channel wireless audio transmitter/receiver system
- Enables easy wireless hookup for powered subwoofers & powered speakers
- Solves wiring problems quickly & easily. Note- for powered speaker hookup, you’re A/V receiver must have variable pre-amp out RCA jacks)
- Works with a/V receivers, Mac, PC, mobile devices & all other products with 3.55mm or RCA connectors
- No front-to-back of room wires or cables
As we have mentioned above, wireless speaker kits make regular speakers wireless by sending the audio signal via an RF (radio-frequency) signal. You can easily connect your regular speaker with a wireless speaker kit so that you can experience a high-quality wireless signal to your surround speakers.
All of these wireless speaker kits come with a built-in transmitting and receiving unit. The transmitting unit takes inputs from the receiver or other sources and then transmits them to the receiving unit. Then the receiving unit starts working. They process the signal and give you the output.
You may also need to add a separate amplifier to power the speakers because of some reason. And those are:
- Power cannot travel wirelessly
- Most of the wireless speaker kits do not come with a built-in amplifier.
- Finally, a lot of rear speakers are passive and not active it means that they do not supply their own power.
If the wireless kit’s receiving unit comes with a built-in amplifier, it will provide you with only a small amount of power. That’s why we recommend you not to use the built-in amp. Moreover, a separate amplifier is much more reliable also.
One thing you should know that Radio Frequency is the same signal that Wi-Fi uses. Moreover, many wireless kits run around 2.4GHz. So you should be careful about where your router/Wi-Fi access point is placed because they could potentially create interference.
How to Set Up a Wireless Speaker Kit
Setting up a wireless kit can feel a little complicated sometimes. But it actually depends on your speaker setup and the kit you will use. By reading this article, we hope you will get enough info about setting up a wireless speaker kit. We also recommend you to use one of the following kits for your rear speakers and subwoofer (optional).
Managing cables to the front channel speakers is easier because they are usually located close to the receiver. But when you go running cables for the rear speakers, you can face many difficulties because they are mostly located far from the receiver and amplifier. You can also keep the subwoofer in various locations.
Whether you want to run a cable or use a wireless kit is actually depends on where the rear speakers are located. Running cables to the rear speakers can feel like a big problem depending on the room’s design. To solve this problem, here comes the wireless transmitting and receiving system.
Step 1 – Choose a Wireless Speaker Kit
There are two types of wireless speaker kits available on the market:
- One type does not come with any built-in amplifier. It can only send the audio signal and requires an additional amplifier to power the speakers.
- Another type of wireless speaker kit come with a built-in power amplifier.
We recommend you to buy a kit with no built-in amplifier because the built-in amplifier of a wireless kit is not so powerful. The power output from a built-in amp is less than what your current receiver/amplifier will output.
Always remember that the inputs available on the transmitting unit and the outputs available on your A/V receiver. Moreover, if your receiver has pre-outs (RCA outputs for the different speaker channels), then you can easily connect RCAs from the receiver to the transmitting unit.
If your receiver does not have any pre-outs, then you have to make sure the transmitting unit allows regular speaker wire as an input. Otherwise, you can use a line-level adapter to convert speaker leads to RCAs. Some wireless kits also come with input and output for a subwoofer. Many subwoofers come with a built-in amplifier, so it is very easy to connect.
Wireless Speaker Kits with No Built-in Amplifier
Here are some of the wireless kits that do not come with any built-in amplifier. Prices are not included because they change constantly. So if you have active speakers, then you should obviously choose a kit that doesn’t come with any built-in amp.
- Easily stream your satellite/cable, DVDs, gaming console and more to any TV wirelessly using RCA connections - Not compatible with HDMI. Product not intended for audio specific usage such as speakers or subwoofers, rather for transmission of audio/video signal from source device to display.
- Transmit standard definition audio and video seamlessly from one room to another without the hassle of installing messy cables
- Powerful long range 5.8 GHz signal transmits video and audio up to 225 ft (clear line of sight for maximum range, obstacles such as walls can reduce range to approximately 50-65ft). Transmit through walls, ceilings, and floors (range/signal quality will decrease based on environment)
- Change channels, pause your movie - control your device from another room with the remote extender
- 4 selectable channels to avoid interference with other wireless devices
Nyrius NY-GS10 (See Picture) – This kit is actually an Audio/Video wireless kit, but you don’t have to use the video in/out. It is the best wireless kit, and it has the best reviews of all of the wireless kits that can be found. You can get this from amazon.
BIC America – this kit uses RCAs for inputs and outputs. It has a range of 60ft-80ft and is on the higher end of non-amplified wireless kits.
Dynasty ProAudio WSA-5TR – As like the BIC America wireless speaker kit, this kit is also very easy to use and highly reviewed! You can also find it on amazon.
But you always have to remember that these kits don’t supply power for the speakers, just the audio signal. So we recommend you to use a mini amplifier to power the speakers.
Wireless Speaker Kit with a Built-in Amplifier
- MAKES ANY SPEAKERS WIRELESS: Install rear surround speakers without long ugly speaker wires - comes with 2 dedicated wireless amplifiers each rated at 80 Watts - the wireless transmitter connects to any analog audio output including amplified speaker outputs - ideal for connecting to surround sound receivers - works with any-brand home theater receiver - also great for installing speakers all over your house without drilling holes into your walls
- ADVANCED WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY: Stereo audio is transmitted in a digital format without audio compression (full CD quality) - free of static and interference - the wireless signal can travel through walls and ceilings to other rooms of your house - avoids interference by using adaptive frequency hopping - signal is not affected by wireless networks or cordless phones
- POWERFUL AMPLIFIERS: Each wireless receiver includes an 80-Watt power amplifier - proprietary amplifier design featuring linear frequency response and ultra low distortion regardless of the connected speaker load
- SUPER COMPACT: The wireless amplifiers measure 5" x 3.5" x 2" only - easily hide away - mounting holes for attaching behind speakers - totally out of sight
- MULTI-ROOM CAPABLE: Transmitter can pair to up to 4 wireless amplifiers - multiple transmitters can be used within a home - create distinct audio zones - pairing is a simple push of a button - transmitter also works with iFinity wireless speakers - 100% Risk-free 1-year Manufacturer Warranty with responsive easy-to-reach Customer Service Support
The Amphony Model 1800 wireless speaker kit is the best-reviewed wireless speaker kit with a built-in amplifier. This kit uses a single transmitter that sends the audio signals to two separate receivers.
The built-in amplifiers are rated at 80 watts, which is significantly higher than most wireless kits with a built-in amp. Moreover, this wireless kit comes with a range of up to 300ft. So in our opinion, if you want to buy a wireless speaker kit with a built-in amp, then you should go for The Amphony Model 1800.
- EXPAND YOUR SOUND: A compact wireless speaker kit that eliminates having to run speaker cable from your home theater receiver to a rear location.
- HIGH QUALITY AUDIO: Surround speakers are wired from the 2 x 25 Watt amplifier/wireless receiver for high quality sound via faster 5.8 GHz radio frequency
- FLEXIBLE PLACEMENT: Compact and easy to hide transmitter and receiver can be used anywhere there is access to an electrical outlet
- ADD BASS: Includes a subwoofer input/output to connect a powered sub and complete the full surround sound experience
- RELIABLE WIRELESS: Transits audio up to 100 feet line of sight and includes 34-channel selection to dial in the most reliable audio signal
The OSD WRSK-250 Subwoofer and Speaker Kit is a transmitter and receiver kit with a built-in amplifier on the receiving end. These types of kits are significantly less common than regular non-powered kits.
Moreover, this Subwoofer and Speaker Kit only supply 25 watts of power per channel. This amount is far less than what your receiver or amplifier can provide.
One interesting fact about this wireless kit is that it has a line out of RCAs for the speakers and the subwoofer. So if you want, you will be able to use a separate amplifier. But if you really want to use a separate amplifier, then you should not buy a kit with a built-in amplifier.
Step 2 – Connect the Transmitter
After choosing the perfect wireless kit for you now, you have to set it up so that your regular speakers can work wirelessly.
To complete the setup process, at first, you have to connect the transmitter to the receiver or amplifier. The transmitter uses Radio Frequency to send the audio wirelessly. There will be various ways for inputting the audio signal, but it mostly depends on the kit you have. The transmitter will come with a speaker wire, RCA, and/or Aux 3.5mm input available.
In the case of speaker wire inputs, you just have to connect your speaker’s wire from the two speaker outputs with the receiver to the transmitter’s inputs.
And in the case of RCA inputs, you have to connect RCA cables from the pre-outs with the receiver via the transmitter’s RCA inputs.
Step 3 – Connect the Receiver
After successfully connecting the transmitter, now you have to connect the wireless receiver to make your regular speakers wireless. The process of connecting a wireless receiver can be a little different depending on the wireless speaker kit you are using and the speakers you have. But it is mostly the same. Here you will see some setup processes for different kits and speakers. Moreover, you can also find how to connect everything properly.
If you only have a 3.5mm input available in your transmitter, then you have to buy an RCA to 3.5mm adapter to connect the receiver to the transmitter. After successfully connecting to the transmitter, you can now plug the AC power adapter into it and a power outlet.
Using a separate amplifier (More common)
If you are using a dedicated amplifier, you have to connect RCAs from the receiving unit to the amplifier. Then you have to connect the speaker wire from the amplifier to the speakers. The receiving unit sends the signal to the amplifier, then the amp powers the signal and forwards it to the speakers.
If your regular speakers are passive, if your speakers do not have any power source or an internal amp of their own, you can use this technique. Moreover, remember that you have to plug the AC adapter into a power outlet and connect the other end to the receiver.
Using a receiving unit with a built-in amplifier (Less common).
If your receiver comes with a built-in amplifier (very not likely), then making the connection will be very easy. You have to connect the speaker wire from the receiving unit to the speakers and connect power for the receiver.
Yeah, it is simple like that, but you have to remember that the amount of power provided by the receiving unit can be very low. So do not expect a huge amount of sound from the connected speakers as output.
The speakers contain an internal amplifier (i.e., using active speakers).
If you have active speakers, then you will not need an amplifier to power your wireless receiver.
You have to connect RCAs from the receiving unit to the speaker, and your speakers will start to work wirelessly. But still, you will need to connect the power adapter to the receiving unit.
Step 4 – Test the System!
After successfully connecting everything, now you have to test the system.
First, you have to make sure that the receiver is receiving the signal from the transmitter. If you notice any static, sounds unclear, is delayed, etc., from the connected speaker, then you should adjust the position of the transmitter and/or receiver. And check all the connections again.
Moreover, you will not want the front/wired speakers to be extremely loud and hardly hear anything from the rear wireless speakers. So you have to adjust the levels on either the receiving unit or amplifier or both.
After all, if everything is working well, then congratulations you have successfully learned how to make regular speakers wireless.
Now you know that making regular speakers wireless is very easy. You have realized that you just need the right gear and the knowledge of how to set everything up.
We hope that this article will help you with enough information about making your regular speakers wireless. But if you do not want to go through all of these, then you can buy a wireless speaker system. But it would be best if you remembered that high-quality wireless speakers are not cheap.
You can buy a set of wireless speaker systems at an affordable price, but they will not give you a great amount of sound. The higher-priced systems are usually much more efficient in producing sound.
So we recommend that, if you already have speakers and have a lower budget, then you should go for a wireless kit.
Best Seller List of Wireless Speakers:
- ASTONISHING SOUND: Breathtaking stereo sound with deep bass is delivered with exceptional clarity and zero distortion by two high-sensitivity drivers and a patented bass port.
- 24H WORRY-FREE BATTERY LIFE: Anker's exclusive, long-life battery technology provides the Bluetooth speaker 24 hours of sublime music.
- WATERPROOF BUILD: IPX5-rated casing offers complete protection against liquids.
- EFFORTLESS CONNECTIVITY: Bluetooth 5.0 ensures instant pairing and maintains a strong connection up to 66 ft.
- BassUp TECHNOLOGY: The Bluetooth speaker has an in-house tuned digital signal processor analyzes the low frequencies to intensify the song’s bass in real-time.
- 【Immersive Sound】Featuring MIATONE unique audio processing, the sound quality of BOOMBOX bluetooth speaker is significantly better across the entire frequency range from dual precision acoustic stereo drivers. It handles crisp treble and mid frequencies excellently without noticeable crackle at max volume. Using DSP technology, dual advanced subwoofers and aluminum passive radiators on each ends boost deep and accurate bass that's true to your music. No exaggeration and distortion.
- 【TWS Function】You can pair 2 bluetooth speakers for a total of 32 Watts surround sound. The combined output generates full stereo, true-to-life sound.
- 【Rugged Cylinder - Shaped Housing】Mesh fabric provides enough grip to run with this portable speaker in your hands without worry about losing a grip. Both ends have rubberized tips that will prevent slippage when stood up and absorb potential damage and softly cushion the speaker after big falls. So this speaker is perfect for outdoor sports, such as skiing, golfing, biking, hiking & camping etc.
- 【Bluetooth V4.2 Range Testing】If the wireless speaker is around a thick concrete corner/ wall in the way, it starts cutting in and out about 33 feet away. So you can use this speaker with your phone to play Pandora and left the speaker outside and the phone inside within 33 feet. Range is decent at about 100 feet in a straight way without concrete obstacle and wall. So you can place your speaker up to 100 unobstructed feet away from your other Bluetooth devices.
- 【Best Gift】 Elegant color, high quality mesh fabric housing and immersive make it the best gift choice on any occasions, such as Yoga music player, friends party, go camping outside with family and friends, Christmas Day , Easter Day, Thanksgiving Day , Birthday, anniversary, Mothers Day , Fathers Day , Halloween , wedding, etc.
- Wireless Bluetooth streaming
- 12 hours of playtime
- IPX7 waterproof
- Pair multiple speakers with party boost
- Premium JBL sound quality
- Small yet powerful speaker for streaming music and more. Get rich, room-filling sound with Play:1, and control it with the Sonos app.
- The compact design fits just about any space. Put it on your kitchen countertop, or tuck it away on your office bookshelf.
- Go from unboxing to listening in minutes with just 1 cord and step-by-step guidance in the Sonos app.
- Pair 2 Play: 1's in the same room for stereo separation and more detailed sound.
- Easily connect Sonos speakers in different rooms over Wi-Fi to create a home sound system that brings every room and everyone together.
- Unique battery protection design get longest the lifetime M6Pro bluetooth speaker.The speaker's battery is down to 30%, and the Bluetooth speaker's volume drops to 20% to protect the battery. Charge the battery for more louder voluem.(it takes about 4 hours to fully charge the battery)
- Long Range & Longer Playtime: Bluetooth 5.0 provides fast connection and incredible wireless Bluetooth range of up to 100 feet from your almost any bluetooth device and smart phone.LONGER BATTERY PLAYTIME UP TO 20+ HOURS at the Bluetooth speaker volume is at 50% and off the lights.
- How to get more Louder volume:The volume of the speaker will be reduced to 20% when the battery is left at 30%. To make the speaker more durable, charge it if you want to raise the volume.
- How to work with the M6pro Portable Speaker.1.Once the product is switched on, it enters wireless mode and the power Buttons button begins to flash.,M6Pro Bluetooth Portable Speaker will be ready for pairing with your phone.2.Plug the cable into the AUX audio jack and M6Pro Bluetooth Speaker automatically switch to Aux mode.3.Press the "phone" button (located next to the power button) to switch from AUX-IN mode to Bluetooth Pairing Mode when the M6Pro Bluetooth Speaker is under the Aux mode.
- What You Get: Comes with 1. EDUPLINK Bluetooth 5.0 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker. 2. USB charging cable. 3. 3.5mm AUX cable 4. Quick Start Guide. 18 Months Warranty plus Lifetime Customer Service Makes that BUY IT 100% RISK-FREE .Watch the main video On the left in a few minutes andYou will be pleasantly surprised.
- RGB COLORFUL LIGHT WIRELESS SPEAKER: The wonderful light react and phase in time with the beat. You can enjoy the LED light show when you listen, with a next-level listening experience. You can change the mode of the light by pressing the button on the top of the speaker, It applies to video, your games, parties, bars, backyard BBQ Feast, Birthday Party, Family Gatherings, Holiday’s atmosphere, etc.
- SHOCKING Hi-Fi LOUD SOUNDS: The bluetooth speaker equips with 10W of stereo full-range drivers speaker and advanced digital signal processor, which pumps out crisp treble, detailed mids bass, deliver shocking sound without distortion even at any volume.
- IPX5 WATERPROOF DUSTPROOF OUTDOOR SPEAKER: The silicone cases and interface design ensure shockproof, dustproof, and waterproof, the port cover makes the speaker have better internal protection, so it is great for home, office, beaches, boat trips, camping, outdoor, shower. allowing you to enjoy music in a variety of different environments.
- COMPACT PRACTICAL AND LONG BATTERY LIFE: Bluetooth speakers small in size and lightweight, the compact design maximizes portability, Can throw it into the backpack, or carry it around with the attached strap. Built-in a High efficient rechargeable lithium-ion battery, With 18 hours of playtime, long enough for any outdoor activities, It's an ideal gift for men or women.
- SMOOTH AND WIDE-RANGE WIRELESS CONNECTION: Advance Bluetooth 5.0 and TWS technology effortlessly connects to all of your Bluetooth-enabled, , such as iPad, smartphones, TV, laptop, etc. The 5.0 Bluetooth chip easily reads the music playlist and provides greater wireless connect range. It also supports TF(supports WAV /MP3 format) playing.
- SOUND TO GO - Never leave awesome sound at home again. This ultra-portable, waterproof Bluetooth speaker is small in size but with surprisingly big sound. Clip it on with the built-in carabiner, press play, and make the moment pop.
- UP TO 10 HOURS OF PLAYTIME - The JBL Clip 3 features a built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery with up to 10 hours of battery life, plus a metal carabiner so you can easily hook it to your clothes, backpack, or belt loop.
- NOISE CANCELLING & WIRELESS STREAMING - Wirelessly stream high-quality sound from your smartphone or tablet. Plus, take crystal-clear calls from your speaker with the touch of a button, thanks to the noise and echo-cancelling speakerphone.
- WATERPROOF & DURABLE - No more worrying about rain or spills: JBL Clip 3 is completely waterproof—you can even immerse it in water. Plus, the improved, durable fabric material and rugged rubber housing protects it on all of your outdoor adventures.
- THE SOUND PROMISE - JBL has brought music to life in a way people can feel for over 70 years. From Woodstock to the Motion Picture Academy, our speakers unleash the power of music so you can live life to the fullest, wherever and whenever.
- WIRELESS BLUETOOTH STREAMING: Wirelessly connect up to 2 smartphones or tablets to the speaker and take turns enjoying powerful sound.
- UP TO 20 HOURS OF PLAYTIME: Built-in rechargeable Li-ion 7500mAH battery supports up to 20 hours of playtime and charges your device via USB port
- IPX7 WATERPROOF: Take Charge 4 to the beach or the pool without worrying about spills or even submersion in water
- JBLCONNECT plus Amplify your listening experience to epic levels and rock the party perfectly by wirelessly connecting more than 100 JBL Connect plus enabled speakers.
- DURABLE FABRIC AND RUGGED MATERIAL: The durable fabric material and rugged rubber housing allows your speaker to outlast all of your adventures
- Wireless Bluetooth Streaming
- 5 hours of playtime
- IPX7 waterproof
- Audio Cable Input
- Innovative Bose technology packs bold sound into a small, water resistant speaker
- Built-in mic for speakerphone to take clear conference or personal calls out loud with a wireless range of approximately 30 feet.
- Rugged, with a soft touch silicone exterior that makes it easy to pick up and go
- Voice prompts talk you through the Bluetooth pairing so it’s easier than ever or even quick-pair with NFC devices
- The lithium-ion battery lets you enjoy up to 8 hours of play time, rechargeable with USB power sources
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
You May Also Like…
- Are Soundbars a Waste of Money?
- Can You Use A Smart TV Without the Internet?
- Can You Use Smart TV for Zoom?
- Do Projectors Need To Warm Up?
- HDMI vs. Mini HDMI vs. Micro HDMI
Last update on 2022-09-16