If you are a new soundbar user and you are finding a way to make the controlling simpler of your TV and soundbar, then there is good news for you. You will be able to control both your TV and soundbar with just one remote. It is a good way to avoid dealing with many remotes and simplify your whole entertainment system.
To Control Soundbar with TV Remote, go to Settings → Sound Output. Next, select your soundbar and then close the Settings. You should be able to use the TV remote to change the volume and mute it. The soundbar should also turn on and off.
OR, If you want to control your soundbar with your TV remote, then you just have to follow these steps:-
- Look for the ARC connection port on your TV and soundbar.
- Connect the HDMI or optical cable to each
- Start the TV & soundbar
- Troubleshoot and Test Any Connection Problems
- Adjust and optimize your sound to improve it.
The process of connecting and controlling your soundbar with your TV remote mostly depends on the brand of your TV. You have to follow different ways to connect your soundbar for different TV brands. In this article, you will get to know that what you have to do to command a soundbar with your TV remote.
Find the Optical or HDMI ARC Connection on both the Soundbar and TV
Firstly you have to check out your TV and soundbar to see the type of inputs you have available. The best way to connect is HDMI ARC. Now many TVs and soundbars come with this feature. If you don’t have HDMI ARC available, then you can look for a digital optical cable connection. It is really a good option.
If your TV and soundbar have both possibilities, you may be confused about which one you should use. You do not have to consider much you can use any of them. After you decide which one you are going to use, you just have to follow the instructions below.
If you will connect your TV and soundbar via HDMI ARC, you have to connect your soundbar’s ‘HDMI OUT’ or ‘HDMI OUT’ to the ‘HDMI IN (ARC)’ on your TV.
Again if you want to connect your TV and soundbar by Using a Digital Fiber Optical Cable, or you can call it just optical cable. Then you have to find out the ‘DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL)’ or ‘DIGITAL OPTICAL OUT’ on your Television and also the ‘DIGITAL AUDIO IN (OPTICAL)’ or ‘OPTICAL IN’ on your soundbar.
Connect an Optical or HDMI Cable to Each Device
Whether you are using HDMI ARC or an optical connection, you might need the right cables. The soundbar manufacturer might provide you with the correct cable. You just have to plug those cables in the right port.
And if you have an old HDMI Arc cable and a question had come to your mind, can you use the cable? And the answer is yes. Any HDMI cable with the 2.0 standard or more upgraded will work well. But some options on Amazon reassuringly call out the ARC capability right in the listing, like the AmazonBasics Premium HDMI Cable (on Amazon).
- IN THE BOX: 10-foot flexible, lightweight HDMI cable; black
- CONVENIENT: Ideal for connecting media devices to playback display such as HDTVs, projectors, and more
- DEVICE COMPATIBILITY: Blu-Ray players, computers, Apple TV, Roku, cable, PS4, Xbox One, and other HDMI-compatible devices
- SUPPORTS: Ethernet, 3D, 4K HDR and ARC (4K@60Hz, 18Gbps)
- DURABLE DESIGN: Solid copper conductors and full metal jacket shielding for strength and high-performance connectivity
When you use an optical cable, you have to make sure that the small plastic caps on the ends are taken off. Then you have to keep pushing each side into the TV and soundbar tightly till you hear or feel a click. But do not have any optical cable, or if the fiber optics in your cable have been damaged, you can easily get a cable like the iVANKY Optical Cable Digital Audio Cable for Home Theater for a reasonable price.
- 🎵【Unparalleled Sound Quality】iVANKY digital optical audio cable adopts Japan Toray Original Fiber Core for zero distortion Lossless Audio. This Toslink cable compatible with uncompressed PCM audio and compressed 5.1 to 7.1 surround sound systems including Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution and LPCM, delivering stunning sound with wide dynamic range to your living room.
- 🎁【For Immersive Sound Experience】iVANKY optical audio cable allows you to connect soundbars and home theatres to TVs/PS4/Xbox/Blu-Ray Players, and more devices with standard Toslink (s/PDIF, Optical) ports.Spatial audio places sounds all around you to create a three-dimensional listening experience for music, TV shows, movies, and more.
- 👍【Ultra Durability】Unlike conventional PVC jackets, the optical cord for soundbar with quality nylon braided jacket withstands over 15,000 bends, not easily broken anymore. Aluminum shell and gold-plated connector won't tarnish and decrease conductivity over time.
- ✨【Considerate Design】Precisely designed cuboid connectors make this digital audio optical cable easier to identify the installation angle and fits snugly. Carefully-chosen nylon material is flexible and lightweight, CL3-rated. Removable rubber caps can prevent dust and oxidation when not plugged in.
- ❤️【Extended Warranty】For the benefits of our customers, we extend the 18-month Warranty to total of 54 months (18+36 months) for customers who have registered their products on our website. Feel free to contact our top-notch customer support team with any questions or concerns.
Turn the TV and Soundbar On
After connecting your soundbar with your TV via an HDMI ARC or optical connection, you have to turn them on. You can turn on your devices by using its own remote or by using the buttons on the devices themselves.
Test and Troubleshoot Any Connection Issues
When Using HDMI ARC:
An HDMI ARC connection makes it simpler to control your soundbar from your TV remote. After connecting your soundbar with your TV via HDMI ARC cable, you will be able to hear your TV’s Sound through your soundbar.
But in fact, if you do not hear any sound, then you have to make some settings. You have to turn off your TV speaker from your TV’s Sound or audio settings. You will also see an option for “HDMI Arc” or something else like this on that settings. Select that option and give your TV the command to route the audio channel through the soundbar.
When Using Optical:
When you use an optical cable to connect your soundbar with your TV, there’s a little possibility that the Television will know to use the soundbar automatically. So you likely have to find the right settings and set everything up.
Now you have to find the ‘Source’ or ‘Input’ button by using your soundbar’s remote. Look at the display on your soundbar and set the input to ‘OPTICAL’ or an abbreviated version such as ‘OPT.’
Adjust and Optimize Your Sound
After successfully connecting everything and adjusting all the settings, now you have to adjust the soundbar’s volume to optimize the Sound. You have to control it from your TV.
Firstly, you have to start the process by turning the volume of the soundbar down by using your soundbar’s remote. Then play audio in different sound settings to find the best settings for you.
If you want to find a range to use the TV remote for the volume most of the time, you have to set the soundbar somewhere between 50-80% of its maximum volume output.
Controlling a Soundbar With a TV Remote – Instructions by TV Brand
The mentioned instructions above are a general way to connect your devices and control your soundbar with your TV. But many TVs from different manufacturers come with different ways of connection. Here you can find some instructions for different TV manufacturers; you can find your listed brand and follow the instructions.
You can connect your TV and soundbar using an optical digital or HDMI ARC connection. To do this, you must use the appropriate cable and change the input of the soundbar to “D.IN”
Use a digital optical connection to the soundbar from your Samsung TV. You can hold the left direction on the Samsung TV remote’s direction pad to activate or deactivate Auto Power Link. This feature only works with an optical connection. Make sure that you have changed the TV’s audio output settings so that you can control your soundbar by your TV remote.
But use an HDMI ARC connection. The source of your soundbar will automatically change to TV ARC, and you will be able to use the TV remote’s right direction on the direction pad to activate/deactivate Anynet+. This feature only works with an HDMI ARC connection.
You can get more information on Samsung support.
If you have an LG TV. You can connect your soundbar with your TV in many ways. Such as you can Sound Sync via Bluetooth, a digital optical connection, or an HDMI ARC connection. Moreover, LG TVs also come with Magic Remote.
If you want to use the Bluetooth wireless connection, you have to follow the given instructions:-
- Go to TV settings
- Then find the sound section
- Then select the Sound Out
- At last, you have to click on LG Sound Sync (Wireless).
After doing these, The Device Selection button will appear and look for your soundbar. So make sure that the Bluetooth of your soundbar is turned on. Then select your soundbar and pair them.
If you want to connect via the digital optical and HDMI ARC connection, the process is also the same. You’ll use the Sound> Sound Out area to change the output to HDMI or optical.
You can get more information by visiting LG support.
VIZIO TVs also use the same process as the instructions above to connect your soundbar with the TV through an optical or HDMI connection. The port for an optical connection on the VIZIO TV may be called ‘S/PDIF,’ and for an HDMI ARC connection, use ‘HDMI 1’, which is the ARC port.
When you use the HDMI ARC, your TV may automatically recognize your connection after inserting the cable. If it won’t, then you have to do it manually. For this, you use the menu on your VIZIO remote and go to System > CEC, then change the setting to ‘Disabled,’ ‘Enabled,’ or ‘ARC only,’ whatever you wish.
You can get more information by visiting VIZIO support.
You can easily connect your soundbar by using both the HDMI ARC connection and an optical digital audio cable. The setup process is also the same as the instructions listed above. When you will switch the audio output setting, make sure you select ‘Audio System’ for all setups.
One important thing you should know that Sony support said that when using an optical cable, you will not be able to manage functions that require an HDMI connection like power interlock and volume with the remote of your TV.
You can get more information by visiting Sony support.
Hitachi is a very well-known electronic manufacturer. They are well known because of their low-priced smart TVs. These TVs also come with Roku TV built-in. You can connect your soundbar to a Hitachi Roku TV and use your Roku remote to control all of your TV and media devices.
But if you want to use the HDMI ARC connection, you have to go to TV settings > Audio > Audio Preferences. And set ‘Audio Mode’ to ‘Auto (DTS)’ to connect to your soundbar automatically. You also have to select ‘Auto-detect’ in the S/PDIF and ARC settings.
After doing all these, you have to go back to ‘System’ on the main settings menu, then go to ‘CEC’ and click the checkboxes for HDMI ARC to give your Roku remote the ability to control your soundbar.
You can get more information by visiting Hitachi support.
Panasonic TVs are also able to connect to your soundbar for controls via the HDMI or digital optical connection. When you use the HDMI connection, you’ll find the ‘HDMI2 (ARC)’ input on your Panasonic TV. Fortunately, an app in Panasonic TV allows you to easily switch between your TV’s speakers and soundbar for audio if you connect via HDMI ARC.
But if you want to use the optical connection, the setup will be the same as above. You have to connect both your devices by an optical cable, and then you have to go to the TV settings, turn off the TV speaker, and change the source to ‘Optical.’
You can get more information by visiting Panasonic’s support page.
Most of the TCL TVs are compatible with the HDMI ARC connection. So you can use this connection for connecting and controlling your soundbar with a TCL TV remote. You should use a high-speed HDMI cable that supports ARC and CEC control.
After connecting HDMI ARC, you have to set everything up. For this, you have to go to Home > Settings > System > Control other devices (CEC) > HDMI ARC and Select the button to enable ‘HDMI ARC.’ Moreover, you also have to disable ‘System audio’ by unchecking the box by this feature.
You can get more information by visiting TCL support.
Most of the TCL TVs are compatible with the HDMI ARC connection. So you can use this connection to connect and control your soundbar; you can control your soundbar from your Hisense TV. You just have to connect your soundbar with your TV by using an HDMI-certified High-Speed 2.0 cable. Then go to your TV Settings > Sound > Speakers > ARC and turn off your TV’s speaker, and enable HDMI ARC.
To enjoy the best quality audio, you can also change the ‘Digital Audio Out.’ Go to Settings > Sound > Advanced Settings > Digital Audio Out > Dolby Digital Plus, and then connect using an optical cable.
You can get more information on the Nakamichi Help Desk.
After reading this article now, you know that controlling your soundbar with your TV remote is not a hard task. You just have to connect your TV with the soundbar and adjust your settings and Sound as necessary. Among the optical connection and HDMI ARC connection, the HDMI ARC connection is the easiest way to do it.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller List of Soundbars:
- Straight from the theater to your home: easy set-up, built-in tweeter, 2-ch speaker with simple Bluetooth connection
- Deep sound with Bass Reflex speaker
- High power with a slim design that matches any room and is perfect for small living spaces
- Voice enhancement feature is great for TV content with hushed dialogue, or to make conference call participants easier to hear
- Easy TV set up with HDMI ARC
- ALL-IN-ONE: Everything you need in a single soundbar with two woofers and tweeters built in, so you can enjoy rich sound that will fill your room
- DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 / DTS VIRTUAL:X: Dolby Digital 5.1 capable creates realistic surround sound by projecting it from all around you, while DTS Virtual: X expands your listening experience without having to add extra speakers
- Q-SYMPHONY: Perfectly synchronized, fully immersive audio floods your room all at once, using every speaker in compatible Samsung TV and soundbars*
- BUILT-IN CENTER SPEAKER: The built-in center speaker is dedicated to delivering enhanced dialogue, so you won't miss a word, no matter how faint the conversation or how intense the background music or action is
- ADAPTIVE SOUND LITE: Enjoy dynamically optimized audio with enhanced voice clarity so you can follow along with action-packed games and blockbuster films
- America's #1 Sound Bar* - VIZIO has been filling homes with truly immersive audio for over 10 years, and our sound bars just keep getting better. We are proud to provide our customers with top-tier audio products that bring movies, shows, podcasts, music, and more to life like never before. (*#1 Sound Bar Brand in 1H 2022 Source: The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service, U.S., based on units, Jan. - June 2022 combined.).Mounting Type:Sound Bar.Speakers maximum output power:10 watts.Total hdmi ports:1
- Ultra-Compact 2.0 Design - Experience the performance of larger, more complex home theater systems in a simple, ultra-compact solution designed fit anywhere and blend seamlessly into any environment.
- Bold Performance - Experience rich, clear sound with up to 91dB of total SPL output for performance that belies its size.
- Essential Connectivity & Control - Get setup and listening in seconds with the included cables plus Bluetooth connectivity for wireless streaming of your favorite music and podcasts.
- 2.0-Channel Sound - Experience a powerful room-filling, true stereo experience ideal for movies, music, and gaming.
- The mountable soundbar for TV, movies, music, and more
- Enjoy crisp dialogue and impressive bass from wall to wall with Playbar. Control it with the Sonos app, your remote, and more
- Whether you mount it on the wall or place it below your TV on a stand or console, Playbar automatically tunes itself for the best possible sound
- Playbar was specially tuned by Oscar-winning sound engineers to emphasize the sound of the human voice so you can always follow the story
- Easily connect Sonos speakers in different rooms over WiFi to create a home sound system that brings every room and everyone together
- Exclusively Soundbar for TV - 70W maximum output power. Powerful drivers deliver high-end acoustic sound effect with built-in reflex tubes for left and right channels, which greatly enhances the bass effect to bring sound to life for a fantastically dynamic audio experience
- Multi Connection - Supports optical fiber, HDMI(ARC), AUX, and USB, compatible with TV, projector, computer, blu-ray player, tablet, XBOX, PS5, MP3 player, etc. (The package contains high-quality HDMI(ARC) cable, Optical cable, and AUX cable) Multiple connections to play music freely
- Bluetooth 5.0 Wireless Connection - Bluetooth 5.0, more stable and faster transmission, and the latest technology greatly increases the transmission range up to 33 feet. Easily connect with most devices, such as iPhone, iPad, tablet, computer, TV, laptop, etc. Powerful anti-interference lossless transmission technology ensures perfect sound quality, enjoy music anytime, anywhere
- Home Theater System - The exclusive left and right channel independent cavity design improves the separation of the left and right channels compared with the ordinary design, and sound field positioning is more excellent. Spacious and dynamic sound effects give you an immersive 3D surround experience
- Easy to set Up - Soundbar: 35.4*2.36* 3.54 inch. The slim form factor of this soundbar allows it to subtly tuck under your TV. No matter it is placed flat on the table or mounted on any wall; it will not take up your precious space
- Hear your TV better: Designed with simplicity in mind, the Bose TV Speaker is a small soundbar that clarifies speech and is a simple fix for better TV sound.
- Wide, natural sound: 2 angled full-range drivers deliver a more realistic, spatial audio experience for overall better TV sound from a small soundbar.
- Enhanced dialogue: This TV speaker is designed to specifically focus on clarifying and elevating vocals and pronunciation.
- Bluetooth TV speaker: Pair your device to this Bluetooth soundbar to wirelessly stream your favorite music and podcasts.
- Simple setup: A single connection from this compact soundbar to the TV via an optical audio cable (included) or an HDMI cable (sold separately) has you up and running in minutes.
- Room-filling sound: powerful speakers deliver a round, high-end audio experience for bed room and apartment.
- Enhanced bass: 3 inches full range drivers and dual bass ports that bring the richer and deeper bass, boost A loud sound that fills the room without distortion.
- Multiple wireless and wired connections: easily connect to the sound bar via Bluetooth 5. 0 or standard audio cable Connection, RCA, HDMI(ARC) and optical input.
- 3 different equalizer modes: fine tune your sound bar with 3 distinct equalizer modes (movie, music, dialogue) via the remote control to match your favorite sound.
- Multiple Setups, multiple options: sits flat below the TV screen or securely mounts on the wall for a sleek, elegant home theater setup
- SUBWOOFER INCLUDED: Experience the intensity of action movies or the excitement of sports with the rich, powerful bass coming from the included subwoofer*.Speakers maximum output power:2 watts.Total usb ports:1
- BASS BOOST: Feel the rumble of distant thunder as your listening experience is taken to another level; Give your bass an instant boost with the push of a button
- BLUETOOTH TV CONNECTION: Set up is a breeze; Easily connect your soundbar to your TV wirelessly**
- ADAPTIVE SOUND LITE: Enjoy dynamically optimized audio with enhanced voice clarity so you can follow along with action-packed games and blockbuster films
- GAME MODE: Game Mode optimizes your gaming experience with synced, directional audio that moves with the onscreen action***
- Single sound bar provides better sound quality compared to your TV.The Solo 5 TV sound system is an easy solution, with advanced technologies that deliver the clear audio your TV can’t.
- Dialogue mode to make every word and detail stand out
- Bluetooth connectivity to wirelessly stream music from any of your devices
- One connection to your TV. Optical audio input (digital); Coaxial audio input (digital); 3.5 mm aux input (analog)
- Universal remote controls TV, bass, Bluetooth connections and more
- A PREMIUM ULTRA-SLIM SOUND BAR WITH INCLUDED WIRELESS SUBWOOFER – 5 powerful full-range drivers deliver BEAUTFUL RICH SOUND WITH DEEP BASS. POLK’S EXCLUSIVE VOICE ADJUST TECHNOLOGY & Dolby Digital Decoding maximizes sound clarity & reduces voice delays.Mounting Type: Tv Sound Bar,Bar Mount
- EXCELLENT SOUND AND VALUE on par with any mid- to high-range sound bars available in the market. At just over 2" tall, it fits most spaces — easily wall-mount it or place in front of your TV. It won’t block your TV’s bottom edge or IR remote sensor
- UPGRADE YOUR HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE – Watch your favorite shows on your 4K HD Smart TV with exceptional picture quality & crystal clear sound. With numerous connection possibilities, plug in any audio source via HDMI ARC, optical input & AUX
- WIRELESSLY STREAM MUSIC from your favorite streaming apps like Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, and others directly from your smartphone, tablet or other compatible device through the built-in Bluetooth technology
- SET UP YOUR SOUND BAR IN MINUTES — With the included subwoofer, HDMI and optical cables quickly connect your TV to the sound bar. Get set up and listening in minutes
You May Also Like…
- The 10 Best Surge Protectors for Home Theater
- 5.1 vs. 7.1 Surround Sound: Which Is Better?
- Connect TV to Receiver Without HDMI
- What is the Difference Between a 2.1 and 5.1 Soundbar?
- How to Turn Regular Speaker into Bluetooth Speaker?
Last update on 2022-11-17