CRT (cathode-ray tube) TVs from the past were able to accommodate high-quality speakers in their thin, flat screens. It may be some time before we see genuinely sophisticated flat-TV speakers since the TV industry is so focused on display size and pixels. It seems that until then, the only option is a soundbar, and a decent one at that, but where does it go?
Soundbar Location: Above vs. Below TV
Although it’s more common to position a soundbar below a television, it may also be mounted higher up. Depending on the model, the soundbar’s performance and appearance may be affected by where it is placed. In order to have the best sound quality, it’s best to mount the soundbar above the TV, with the speakers pointing upward.
Continue reading to find out how the placement of a soundbar concerning a TV (above or below) might affect the sound quality. In addition, you’ll learn why placing the soundbar vertically is a horrible choice.
A soundbar is more than simply a flat piece of metal with a bunch of speakers attached to it. The audio device’s performance, appearance, and location are all influenced by a variety of design considerations. A television or other display-equipped device may be mounted below or above it, although the extra width is also for acoustic reasons.
TVs with flat screens don’t have the room to hold CRT televisions’ powerful audio technology. Soundbars fill that gap. Even while soundbars don’t sound as well as more powerful speakers, they nevertheless beat over the TV’s built-in speakers when it comes to music.
If you’re looking for stereo or surround sound, you’ll often find many speakers in the soundbar’s cabinet. A separate subwoofer might be added to the box to enhance the soundbar’s performance. Soundbars featuring right, center, and left speakers are available from various manufacturers.
Adding a soundbar to a flat-screen TV isn’t the only way to improve its audio quality. A traditional home theater system might, in fact, be connected to your television through an audio cable.
Because soundbars are easier to install, take up less room, and are less costly than other comparable goods, most purchasers choose soundbars over other similar products.
Positioning Your Soundbar
It is critical to situate a soundbar correctly in order to have the best possible sound quality and audio output. Alternatively, you might mount the soundbar to the wall above or below your television and set the audio device on a table, stand, cabinet, or another piece of furniture.
The location of the audio device is determined by a number of factors, not only the soundbar type and design. Several aspects might influence your decision, such as your room’s environment or design, your own preferences, etc.
Reasons You Should Place the Soundbar Below TV
You can either place the soundbar directly in front of a television or mount a soundbar directly below your television. For these reasons, it’s so commonplace.
The majority of soundbars are designed to be placed directly below a television. In this case, the layout will not be aesthetically correct if these speakers are placed above the television. If the device’s speakers are aimed upwards, you may think the sound is blown over your head.
If you install a soundbar below your TV, it will likely be at or slightly below your eye level while you listen to it. As a result, you’ll be hearing the music in its entirety.
Less echo and a better audio experience are achieved since there is no scattering or reflection from the ceiling. All of this is included, and the soundbar can be mounted beneath a TV or have front-firing speakers as an option.
Wireless and cable soundbars are also options. The soundbar may be positioned as far away from the television as the length of the cable allows. 33 feet is the typical length of the wire (10 meters). Glass fiber cables have the potential to reach lengths more than ten meters. It’s possible to get up to 20 feet of shielded cable length when connecting using a 3.5mm copper connector. Connectors are often located at the bottom of the TV. Soundbar setup and wiring get easier when it is positioned beneath a television. When the soundbar is put in front of or beneath the television, hiding the cables is a breeze. For example, the cable might be routed via a concealing channel.
If you’re placing the soundbar behind the TV and need assistance concealing the soundbar’s cords without damaging them, check out this video.
In theory, a soundbar should be portable. You shouldn’t install it against your wall, if at all possible. Soundbars don’t need to be mounted if they’re put on a stand underneath the TV. This isn’t the case if the soundbar is placed on the TV.
Mounting the stand is required even in the case of a simple glass or wood stand above the TV.
As a result, if you’re using a flat-screen TV, you don’t have to worry about a piece of hardware being stuck. Moving the music player forward or backward is a simple matter of pushing or pulling on the gadget.
Choosing the appropriate location for a soundbar above a television is essential. This requires extensive experimentation to find the ideal location. Not to mention the time and effort required to put up the mount.
Reasons You Should Mount the Soundbar Above TV
A soundbar, as previously said, is often positioned beneath a television. Placing a soundbar underneath the television may not be the best option in certain cases.
Upward-firing soundbar Speakers Must Go Above the TV
Using soundbars with upward-firing speakers should not be positioned below or in front of a flat-screen television. To get the most out of the room’s acoustics, these soundbars need to be positioned in a certain manner.
These models have indeed been developed to utilize the walls and ceilings of a whole room to create a more immersive sound stage. Dolby Atmos technology is almost always included.
In order to get the intended effect, the sound would have to travel to the ceiling and bounce off of it; therefore, placing the soundbar below the TV is not an option. You should ensure that the soundbar is not placed too near to the ceiling of your room, as this might cause sound to not bounce back properly.
No Remote Sensor Blocking Issues
Especially if it’s located extremely near to the TV’s bottom bezel, a soundbar placed below it might get in the way of your TV remote’s sensor. This problem may be avoided if the external speaker was placed on top of the TV. Make sure the soundbar is small enough, or the TV is placed high enough if you insist on putting it below its speaker grille.
The TV’s stand height may be adjusted, or the TV can be raised to a more comfortable viewing height. The soundbar’s thickness may be an issue if the TV can only be tilted vertically to a certain degree or if mounting the TV is not an option.
Every time you want to adjust the station or TV settings, you shouldn’t have to get up from the sofa or raise your arm.
Ideal for Low-Lying Seating or TV Stand
Mounting a soundbar over a lower-than-eye-level television would be aesthetically and acoustically appealing. You may lower your television if you have a sofa or chair that is near to floor level. In these cases, placing the soundbar underneath the TV isn’t the best option.
Anti-Kids and Pets
Placing a soundbar beneath a television might be difficult if the TV stand or table isn’t deep enough. It’s possible that putting the soundbar on the table will make it too simple for children to reach the audio equipment and mess with it.
Can You Position the Soundbar Vertically?
It’s OK to place a soundbar vertically on a few instances, but it’s not a good idea. Soundbars are speakers that are specifically designed to guide sound in a certain direction. Right, and left speakers may sound like they are coming from the floor or ceiling when a soundbar is turned 90 degrees or to its side.
If this were to happen, the audio would be entirely ruined. The possibility of installing a soundbar vertically was previously proposed. When all other placement methods have failed, you may want to consider this alternative as a last-ditch effort.
There are certain folks who have no choice but to place their soundbars vertically, whether for aesthetic or space reasons. A soundbar may not be able to be placed horizontally in certain cases due to the placement of the wall mount and other furniture. When it comes to such situations, it’s best to conduct a little home improvement job or change around the furniture rather than relying on vertical speakers.
A soundbar’s horizontal placement is sometimes a problem when audio equipment is acquired without much consideration for the room’s existing furniture and decor. A soundbar shouldn’t cost a lot of money, but you shouldn’t skimp on it to the point where you wind up with a piece of audio equipment that isn’t appropriate for your room.
A soundbar’s vertical location becomes much more critical if you want to attach it. This is largely due to the absence of soundbar mounts that are able to extend vertically. No soundbar mount maker even considers developing a vertical mount since manufacturers prefer horizontal positioning by default.
The horizontal mount may be turned vertical by 90 degrees by simply tilting it. Soundbar mounts are specially built to distribute the soundbar’s weight horizontally; thus, this isn’t an actual option. Not only will an upside-down or vertically-mounted soundbar be damaged, but so will the wall.
Soundbar Shopping/Placement Considerations
It’s much simpler to browse for a soundbar if you know ahead of time or have already selected where it will go next to the TV.
If you’re thinking of putting your soundbar, be sure it has specialized mounting features, such as keyholes for brackets that are rear-positioned. Instead of installing it, mounting-friendly qualities are not necessary. It would be sufficient to use a simple long bar with no keyholes.
When you’re purchasing for or installing the soundbar, here are some additional considerations:
- Keep the soundbar’s power wire and the outlet it plugs into in close proximity. As a result, there should be no difficulties with audio output or electrical power.
- The soundbar cables mustn’t be located near any power lines. This is to verify that there is no or little interference with the power supply.
- The soundbar’s back must be completely free of any obstructions. Anything and everything should be at least a centimeter away from the item you’re using. The soundbar’s acoustics are improved if the area behind it is filled up.
- There must be a gap between the soundbar and a wall in order for it to work properly. It should also not be placed in front of a television.
- To minimize wireless interference, make sure no wireless equipment is placed next to the soundbar. However, a distance of two to three feet from the soundbar is sufficient.
- Avoid placing the soundbar on flat surfaces such as polished wood or glass. As a result, the soundbar might wreak havoc on the smartphone by causing it to shake. As a result, placing it directly on your table is not suggested; instead, place it on a rubber mat for further stability and support.
- Ensure that you don’t lay your soundbar on any lacquered or fragile furniture. Place the soundbar on top of a rubber sheet placed on the furniture.
- To get the optimum sound, use the soundbar in a room with good acoustics that is not too cramped. Even the greatest soundbars may not provide their full potential if the space itself is physically constrained.
- Make sure the soundbar is correctly aligned with your television, whether it is placed below or above the screen. There’s no need to reposition it if its length is the same as your television. For a long piece of furniture, make sure it covers the width of the TV on all sides. The cinema engineer intended for this kind of center alignment to produce an image and sounds that emanate from the same spatial point source.
- Make sure you are at least 3 meters (300 cm) away from the audio device in order to have the best surround sound experience. 5 to 8 meters is a good distance for a conversation (500 to 800 cm). To avoid video-audio delay difficulties, you’ll need to place your soundbar closer to the television.
- While TV stands are convenient, mounting the TV and soundbar on the wall is preferable. If you don’t plan on attaching your TV or soundbar, be sure they’re on the same or separate stands.
- It’s best to leave at least a 10-centimeter (4-inch) spacing between two wall-mounted devices. This would simplify accessing the many settings and connection options on either device.
- Curtains and rugs may help create a more realistic sound or reduce noise reflections. When it comes to soundproofing, echo foam pads might be a lifesaver.
- Keep your soundbar out of the way of the television. In such a case, take steps to conceal the ugly cables. If you can’t conceal them, consider a Bluetooth soundbar. Not only can hiding a soundbar result in poor audio quality, but it will also make it impossible to adjust the soundbar’s settings.
- In addition, you should not put your soundbar in front of or behind your sofa. The soundbar’s output might be obstructed if the sofa is in the way. Apart from that, they should be positioned directly in front of the spectator rather than behind them.
- As a rule of thumb, don’t put your soundbar on the floor, as this will impede your ability to hear the music. Instead of mounting the soundbar and also not having enough room on the TV stand, you may install it somewhere elevated like a platform or raised surface.
Most individuals want their soundbar to be positioned somewhat below their ear level and their television slightly above their eye level. However, the inverse may provide the best results in theaters with slanted floors or chairs. There shouldn’t be any debate over whether the soundbar should be placed below or above the TV.
Consider and verify whether or not your soundbar is supposed to be placed beneath or below your television. The soundbar should be positioned above the television to include speakers that project upward. You may still place the speaker underneath the television, but the audio quality may suffer.
Always check the product’s user handbook to see what it recommends regarding positioning. A product’s technical documentation would have stated whether the soundbar had special criteria. Place the bar on the television stand if nothing else is specified.
Best Seller List of Sound Bars:
- Straight from the theater to your home: easy set-up, built-in tweeter, 2-ch speaker with simple Bluetooth connection
- Deep sound with Bass Reflex speaker
- High power with a slim design that matches any room and is perfect for small living spaces
- Voice enhancement feature is great for TV content with hushed dialogue, or to make conference call participants easier to hear
- Easy TV set up with HDMI ARC
- 【Ultra-Compact Design】The 17-inch soundbar is a compact and sleek audio device that great for desktop space especially small to medium-sized living room or bedroom.Our sound bar takes up less space and is effortlessly moveable, making it an ideal TV speakers sound bar!
- 【Loud and Clear】 This soundbar is built with 2 full-range speakers that provide a more realistic, spatial audio experience to make movies and music truly come to life, allowing you to enjoy all details of music and movies.
- 【Multiple Input Connections】 Our small sound bar has various connectivity options, including Bluetooth, optical,and auxiliary input, which allows you to connect it to your TV, smartphone, PC ,tablet, or other devices to stream music or watch movies. Besides, the home audio sound bars has a "SUB OUT" port, which supports the connection of an active subwoofer.(Press the M button on soundbar can switch the three connection modes of Optical /AUX/ Bluetooth)
- 【Optimize Entertainment With Different Sound Modes】The sound bar can be switched to three equalizer modes (Music, Movie, News) with remote. This soundbar not only produces clear and detailed sound regardless of the content you're watching or listening to, but also enhances the dialogues, bass and treble of music, movies, and TV shows,and makes them sound more realistic and engaging.（Remote control is not compatible with universal or TV remotes ）
- 【Set Up In Minutes】You can put the soundbar on desktop or mounted on the wall directly with rovided wall mounting kits. The TV soundbars size is: 17" * 3.5" * 2.5". What’s inside: soundbar, remote control, wall mounting kit, optical cable, 3.5 to 3.5mm audio cable, Power adapter and user manual.
- The mountable soundbar for TV, movies, music, and more
- Enjoy crisp dialogue and impressive bass from wall to wall with Playbar. Control it with the Sonos app, your remote, and more
- Whether you mount it on the wall or place it below your TV on a stand or console, Playbar automatically tunes itself for the best possible sound
- Playbar was specially tuned by Oscar-winning sound engineers to emphasize the sound of the human voice so you can always follow the story
- Easily connect Sonos speakers in different rooms over WiFi to create a home sound system that brings every room and everyone together
- America's #1 Sound Bar* - VIZIO has been filling homes with truly immersive audio for over 10 years, and our sound bars just keep getting better. We are proud to provide our customers with top-tier audio products that bring movies, shows, podcasts, music, and more to life like never before. (*#1 Sound Bar Brand in 1H 2022 Source: The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service, U.S., based on units, Jan. - June 2022 combined.).Waterproof : No
- Complete, All-in-One Design - Experience the performance and features of a traditional home theater system in a simple, all-in-one solution designed to blend seamlessly into any home.
- Striking Performance - Brilliant clarity, startling dynamics, and Dolby Audio and DTS Digital Surround support combine for performance that defies its size.
- Simple Setup, Streaming & Control -Get setup and listening in minutes with HDMI ARC and Bluetooth connectivity for unparalleled ease of use, control, and access to your content.
- Minimal Modern Design - A clean, angular, low-profile silhouette seamlessly blends into any environment.
- EXCLUSIVELY FOR ROKU TV: Requires a Roku TV. Expandable with Roku Wireless Subwoofer. Does not work with Roku Wireless Speakers.
- SIMPLE WIRELESS SETUP WITH ANY ROKU TV: The simple wireless setup means no running cables or drilling holes in your wall. Just plug it into power and pair it for clearer, louder TV sound.
- UNBOXING TO LISTENING IN MINUTES: Inside the box you’ll find a quick start guide, power cable, and sound bar.
- ONE REMOTE IS ALL YOU NEED: There’s no need to juggle an additional remote every time you want to adjust the volume or sound settings. Just use your existing Roku TV remote.
- QUICK ACCESS TO SOUND SETTINGS: Press the star button on your Roku TV remote to access your sound bar and Roku TV settings all in one place.
- 🦊【𝐈𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝟑𝐃 𝐒𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐨 𝐒𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝】: Deliver dynamic and stereo audio with our 50W TV Sound Bar. Features 4 drivers that accurately reproduce every sound, from subtle whisper to thunderous explosions. Pull you into a real movie audio world with by our 2.0 full range channel sound bar.
- 🦊【𝐒𝐮𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐫 𝐂𝐫𝐲𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐂𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐋𝐨𝐮𝐝 𝐀𝐮𝐝𝐢𝐨】: Change weak blurry sound into loud clear sound. Focus on Crystal Clear Loud mids and highs, provide a brand new audio experience.
- 🦊【𝟑 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐒𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐄𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐬】: Splitable design for 3 placements to fit your room. Horizontal placement for full range sound, turn Static to Surround. Vertical placement for immersive vertical sound, turn Insipid to Dynamic.
- 🦊【𝐄𝐟𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐒𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐩】: Bluetooth 5.0 for wireless connection, HDMI(ARC)/OPT/AUX for wired connection. You can use your TV remote to control soundbar in HDMI ARC mode. Our soundbar comes with illustrated instructions, videos for you to setup at ease.
- 🦊【𝐔𝐧𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐒𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭】: We stand behind the durability of our soundbar and offer 18 months warranty + 24/7 online support + 60 days of unconditional replacement. Will always put you first to ensure your satisfaction, please feel free to contact whenever you need.
- Amp up your audio - Fire TV Soundbar enhances TV audio with dual speakers for fuller sound, clearer dialogue, and deeper bass—all in a compact design.
- Immersive sound - Enjoy a three-dimensional virtual surround sound experience with DTS Virtual:X and more detail with Dolby Audio.
- Easy setup - Just plug in the included HDMI cable to the HDMI eARC/ARC port on your TV to instantly enjoy audio that's always in sync.
- Compact design - With a length of 24“ and a height of just 2.5", Fire TV Soundbar fits most entertainment consoles and TV stands.
- Stream audio with Bluetooth - Connect your phone or tablet via Bluetooth to fill the room with your favorite music.
- Transform your TV into a home theater setup with this sound bar's 300 watts of power, 2.1 channels, and booming bass via a wireless subwoofer.Waterproof : No
- LG's AI Sound Pro uses deep learning algorithms to automatically adjust sound levels based on the viewed content type—clear vocals in sports, thunderous bass in live music, and dynamic sound in action movies
- Made to work with your LG TV, this sound bar system taps into your TV's processing power to automatically optimize sound quality via TV Sound Mode Share—Compatible with 2022 LG TVs and select 2021 LG TVs.
- Eliminate tangles of messy cables with a single connection between your TV and sound bar with HDMI Arc. Stream from your phone or tablet via Bluetooth
- Sound bar, wireless subwoofer, remote control with batteries, and wall mount bracket are included.
Last update on 2023-12-01