Whenever you want to connect your TV to a receiver, generally, you have to use an HDMI cable for it. But if your TV or your receiver or both do not have any HDMI jack, you have to look for alternative ways to connect your TV with the receiver. There are some other options than HDMI.
So what are the ways that you connect a TV to a receiver without HDMI?
The answer is, You can use any RCA audio cables, a 5-cable component RCA video cable, a composite video cable, or an HDMI converter that matches the input option you have available to connect your TV with the receiver.
As we explained above, if your TV and your receiver or both devices do not have an HDMI connection available, you can use an RCA cable or any HDMI converter to connect your TV and the receiver. You are just a few cables away from getting the sound of your Television via your sound system.
Using RCA Cables
There are different kinds of RCA cables available on the market. And different RCA cables come with an additional amount of connectors. Such as a classic red and white RCA cable, composite RCA cables, which come with a video channel, and a component RCA cable that comes with three different cables for the video channel.
Basic RCA Audio Cables
A basic RCA audio cable comes with two connector cables. Those are a red cable and a white cable. This RCA cable type is only able to transmit audio. So you can use it to connect your TV with the receiver via the RCA jacks.
You will be able to easily pair the red and white cables to the red and white marked jacks. The price of this basic RCA audio cable is not so high also. You can easily find this cable for under $10 from any tech shop.
Composite Video Cables
Before people started to use HDMI cables, composite RCA cables were commonly used for connecting both audio and video from a component to another component. Composite RCA cables generally come with the classic red, white, and yellow connector.
Among these three cables, the yellow RCA connector is used as a video cable, and the red and white RCA connector is used as an analog audio connector. These RCA cables are called Composite video cables because you only need one cable to connect the video (the yellow cable). You will be able to buy readily available Composite video cables from any tech shop. Moreover, Cables like the Cmple Composite Video Cables are available in different lengths on Amazon.
Component Video Cables
A component video cable uses different channels of connector cables to transmit a video signal in place of only one like in a composite video cable. In a component video cable, the three cables are used for video transmission. They are generally green, blue, and red cable.
You can buy a component video cable that includes just these three cables. Moreover, you can also buy one with 5 RCA components, including the two audio connectors (the red and white cables). In addition, if you want to play audio from your TV to your receiver, you have to use the RCA component video cable.
Using an HDMI Converter
You can also use a converter to connect your two components. With the help of a converter, you will be able to connect your HDMI to HDMI cable and your RCA to RCA cable simultaneously.
If you use a suitable converter, you will successfully convert your digital signal to an analog signal to connect your components. HDMI Converters like the LiNKFOR 1080P HDMI (on Amazon) to Component Converter are excellent options.
How to Connect TV And Receiver Without HDMI?
If you want to connect your TV with your receiver without HDMI, at first, you have to figure out which cable(s) you will need to connect your component. It depends on the ports available on your devices. After having all the needed cables and other equipment now, you can get started.
Power On Your TV and Your Receiver
At first, you have to power on all of your components.
Plug the Cables and/or Converter In
Carefully plug into the matching inputs. The ports are often labeled ‘Audio,’ ‘Component,’ or ‘Composite.’ You can use the colors to plug in the cables in the correct ports.
Change the TV’s Default Speaker to the External Speakers You’ve Connected
The correct process for this depends on your tv. You can find the section of the sound in your TV’s main settings. Then you have to change your TV’s default speaker from the internal speaker to the external speaker you’ve just set up.
Test Your Setup
Now, if you have rightly connected your components with each other, you can turn the volume up and check if you can hear anything. If you can listen to the music or any sound of the video you are playing, you can be sure that the connection has been made and you’re good to go. If you ever want to upgrade your receiver or TV, you can simply unplug the cables.
You have nothing to worry about if you can not connect your TV with the receiver via HDMI. You can use one of the alternatives above to connect your TV and your receiver successfully, and you’ll be able to enjoy a higher-quality home audio experience.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller List Of HDMI Converters:
- RCA to HDMI Converter: Converts analog RCA composite (Yellow, White, Red) input to HDMI 720P/1080P (60HZ) output,displayed on HDTV/Monitor.
- Plug to Play: ABLEWE Mini RCA to HDMI converter no extra drivers need, just plug and play,easy to use.Please hook up the USB power cable (included) to 5V power source during use.
- Wide Compatibility: Support source formats of PAL, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43, SECAM, PAL/M, PAL/N standard TV. Provide advanced signal processing with great precision, colors, resolutions, and details.
- Widely used:Widely applied to PS2,PS3,Xbox,N64, WII, STB, VHS, VCR, DVD Players and other devices with standard composite AV input.
- Warranty:We provide 12 month warranty and 30 days no hesitate money back.Package include:1*RCA to HDMI Converter,1*usb power cable(adapter not included),1*User Manual.
- RCA to HDMI Converter - Converts analog composite input to HDMI 1080p (60HZ) output,displayed on 1080p (60HZ) HD TV/ TV/ Moniter
- Input ports: 1xRCA (Yellow, White, Red), Output ports: 1xHDMI1.3 1080p (60HZ).NOT support 3D and 4K，NOT support HDMI Converts to AV
- AV to HDMI Converter - Plug and Play, Easy to Install and Operate, Provide advanced signal processing with great precision,colors, resolutions, and details.
- Support PAL, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43, SECAM, PAL/M, PAL/N standard TV formats input.
- Attention: Please connect your power cable to get this video converter working perfectly. Make sure your device has hdmi connector.
- HDMI to RCA Converter: This convert HDMI video signal to normal CVBS signal, Available for TV, VHS VCR, DVD recorders, etc.
- HDMI to AV Converter: support two formats of PAL and NTSC output with a selecting switch, usually NTSC for America, PAL for other Countries. Note: If your TV shows black and white, Please change RCA format NTSC to PAL or PAL to NTSC by the N/P switch.
- Esay to use : Plug and play without any drivers,portable and flexible. Please hook up the USB power cable (included) to 5V power source during use（no included）.
- HDMI 1.3 Input: Support HDMI input from 480i to 1080P, does not support 3D. It can work properly for TV Stick (such as Amazon Fire Stick, Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, PC, Laptop, Xbox, HDTV, DVD).But do not support with mobile phones and iPad series.
- Compatible: HDMI to AV Adapter Suitable for TV Stick, Roku, Blu-Ray, DVD player, Xbox 360, Wii, PC, HD camera and more. Then connect the RCA end into any display with RCA inputs such as Monitor/ TV/ HDTV/ Projector and more.
- 👍 4K HDMI to HDMI Audio Extractor: avedio links HDMI to optical audio adapter is designed to extract the digital audio embedded in HDMI source and output it via optical SPDIF or RCA L/R stereo audio out. Original video/audio signal is also passed through to HDMI output. Then you will be able to send the splitted audio to an amplifier, AV receiver, soundbar or other sound systems.
- 👍 4K High Video Resolution: HDMI audio converter support resolution up to [email protected], HDMI 1.4b, HDCP 1.4, Full HD 1080P, 3D,and 36-bit deep color.Support audio format: DTS-HD/Dobly-trueHD/LPCM7.1/DTS/Dobly-AC3/DSD. (Note: This HDMI sound extractor does not support ARC, please search ASIN B07T2WSY3D to find the version that supports ARC)
- 👍 Three Audio Mode: avedio links HDMI audio adpter with PASS, 2CH, 5.1CH Three Audio Mode Options, RCA L/R output support PASS 2CH PCM, Optical SPDIF output support PASS 2CH PCM, 5.1CH Dobly Digital, DTS
- 👍 Wide Compatible: HDMI to HDMI plus audio converter compatible with various HDMI source devices. HDMI input: Blu-ray player, DVD, HD player, cable/satellite box, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, PS3/PS4/PS4 Pro/PS5, Xbox, PC/laptop, HD camera, Chromecast, Fire Stick, Roku,HD DVR etc. HDMI Output: Full HD TV, Monitor, Projector. Audio output: Speaker, amplifier,soundbar or other sound systems.
- 👍 Package Included: 4K HDMI Audio Splitter x1, 5V/1A DC Power Adaptor x1, User Manual x1. This HDMI audio extractor converter can effectively achieves audio synchronization separation and provide high quality audio and video transmission, make your life more easy and colorful.
- HDMI to AV Converter: Connect the HDMI output device to an old device with a Composite / AV / RCA connector, such as TV Stick connect to an RCA input TV or Projector.
- HDMI 1.3 Support HDMI input from 480i to 1080P. NOTE: It does not support 4k and 3D.
- HDMI to RCA Converter Supports Standard NTSC / PAL two common output formats.
- HDMI to Composite: Plug and Play without any drivers, portable and flexible.
- Compatible: HDMI to AV Adapter Suitable for TV Stick, Roku, Blu-Ray, DVD player, Xbox 360, PC, HD camera and more.
- 【 RCA to HDMI Converter】Converts analog RCA composite (Yellow, White, Red) input to HDMI 720P/1080P (60HZ) output,displayed on HDTV/Monitor.
- 【Plug to Play】 Mini AV to HDMI converter no extra drivers need, just plug and play, Easy to use. Please hook up the USB power cable (included) to 5V power (Not included) source during use . RCA to HDMI Converters is made of high quality aluminum with a longevity
- 【Wide Compatibility】 Support source formats of PAL, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43, SECAM, PAL/M, PAL/N standard TV. Provide advanced signal processing with great precision, colors, resolutions, and details.
- 【Widely used】applied to PS2, Xbox, Nintendo 64, Wii, STB, VHS, VCR, DVD Players, and other devices with standard composite AV output. Easily convert RCA signal to an HDMI output.Just enjoy your RCA devices on a high-quality screen.NOTE: This is an RCA to HDMI Converter, it CANNOT be used as an HDMI to RCA / AV converter.
- 【You will get】1*RCA to HDMI Converter,1*usb power cable(adapter not included),1*User Manual. ONE YEAR WARRANTY Please contact us when you have any problem, we will solve the problem for you as soon as possible.
- HDMI to RCA Adapter: Convert HDMI signal to RCA signal, very suitable for connecting to older RCA (AV/ composite video and L / R stereo audio signals) old TV
- HDMI to AV support HDMI 1.3, HDMI input resolution up to [email protected]
- HDMI input is compatible with Roku streaming sticks, Fire Stick, Apple TV, DVD, PC, Blu-ray players, HD boxes, etc. RCA output is compatible with old TVs, monitors or projectors that support RCA output, etc
- HDMI to Composite Please set to NTSC format when use it in USA!
- Please note: It NOT support 4K and 3D(such as PS4). Cannot be used in reverse (cannot be used as an AV to HDMI converter)
- HDMI Converter: Converting analog RCA Composite (Yellow, White, Red) Cables to a 1080p HDMI signal has never been easier! Taking the signal from your RCA System / Console as an input to HDMI 720p/1080p (60HZ) output, with active an active upscaler it can work on a HDTV, Pc Monitor, or a Smart Tv. Converting Audio and Video this RCA Adapter Converter makes all of your older devices come to life!
- Compatibility: This Plug and Play Mini Rca Converter, can be used as a ps2 hdmi adapter, rca hdmi audio converter, n64 hdmi converter and much more! Suitable for Xbox, Sony Ps1, Ps2, Nintendo Wii, Wii U, VHS, VCR, N64 Blue-Ray DVD Tv. This rca adapter does it all!
- Supporting source formats: PAL, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43, SECAM, PAL/M, PAL/N standard TV. This rca adapter does it all! Taking your composite av cable, and bringing the audio and video to your output of choice! Convert your system with this box adaptor and enjoy a true crisp image on all legacy systems.
- Plug and Play: This device ( av2hdmi )comes with a USB Power adapter cable - to a 5 volt power source during use. With no extra drivers, you just flip the switch to 1080p or 720p and you're in action. Make use of your yellow plug cable, and transfer your rca hdmi signal to your TV!
- Who we are: Located in Los Angeles, California -- we aspire to give the best customer service, alongside the best products. We offer 24/7 customer service -- money back guarantee. If you're not satisfied reach out to us and we'll be sure to solve your concerns! Included in the package is 1 RCA to Hdmi Converter. 1) Usb Power Cable, (adapter not included), and 1 User Manual.
- RCA to HDMI Converter: This RCA to HDMI can convert analog RCA composite input to HDMI 1080P (60HZ) output. Making video come alive, giving the most realistic HD visual experience. Important Note: RCA inputs for HDMI output only!
- Plug & Play : There is no need to install drivers for this RCA to HDMI converter. Easy and convenient to use, grant users the most effortless using trip. Important Note: external power needed.
- HDMI 1080P: An affordable model that's easy to use with ultra HD 4K and 3D compatible. Analog to digital conversion in this RCA to HDMI employs 10 bits maximal 162MSPS sampling, which automatically detects and converts the composite signal to 1080p (60Hz) output, presents you more vivid videos.
- Wide Compatibility: This RCA to HDMI Converter supports source formats of PAL, NTSC3. 58, NTSC4. 43, SECAM, PAL/M, PAL/N standard TV. Provide advanced signal processing with great precision, colors, resolutions, and details.
- 18 Months : This RCA to HDMI converter is protected by a 18 months ; we will provide refund or replacement under any condition, to ensures your 100% satisfaction with your purchase
- Note: This is a HDMI to YPbPr converter, not YPbPr to HDMI converter, It does not work in the opposite direction
- HDMI to YPbPr Converter converts HDMI input signal into analog YPbPr video and R/L audio.
- Scaling technology for input resolution. Support both up-scaling and down-scaling function. Just adjust the "Resolution" button to compatible with your display
- Compatible with Apple TV, Blu-ray Player, Xbox, ROKU, Laptop, PC, Amazon Fire TV, Nintendo Switch, Chromecast, Game Console etc.
- Support resolution up to [email protected]; Compliant with HDMI 1.3v, Support 165MHz/1.65Gbps per channel (4.95Gbps all channel) bandwidth for HDMI Input
You May Also Like…
- How To Connect Two BlueTooth Speakers At Once?
- What is a Pre-Out on an A/V Receiver, When Would You Use It?
- How to Add Bluetooth to Stereo or A/V Receiver?
- Can a Universal Remote Work on a Soundbar?
- Are Soundbars a Waste of Money?
Last update on 2021-06-10